Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnRooney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Hi

I have setup my iMac, running Mac OS X Lion, to backup onto a Ubuntu server (12.04 LTS) using Time Manager. This works a treat.
(All credit to: http://pwntr.com/2012/03/03/easy-ma...n-ubuntu-linux-server-11-10-12-04-lts-and-up/).
The Ubuntu server has been configured with Wake On LAN and this works without a problem from my iMac. I simply send the 'magic packet' and the machine wakes. Note, the network is wired rather than wireless.

However, if the server is sleeping Time Manager does not wake it. Does anybody know should TM wake the server?
Is there a mechanism (hook) to get TM to wake the server ?

I have seen threads on WOL with respect to waking Mac OS X machines (wirelessly) but have found nothing on opposite process.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

xjcrawler01

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
+1 looking for a solution to this. ill keep you updated on any progress.
What are you using to send wol signal to test from osx, i cant seem to find any terminal commands.

Edit: Terminal WOL

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I suspect your wireless AP may need to send the magic WOL packet for you.

Can't remember off the top of my head but i think the airport extreme can do this somehow (been ages since i looked into any of it), but not sure.

According to a quick google search, it doesn't appear that there is a standard way of making WOL work over wifi.

edit:
this may give you some help
http://revolutionwifi.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/wake-on-wireless-lan.html

but again... normal consumer grade gear may not support it

this is another one of those "magical" "it just works" things you get from all apple devices. unfortunately the standards support just doesn't seem to be out there with other gear yet.

xjcrawler01

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
No airport, i am working on a shell script work around almost have it working, unfortunately haven't found a solution to have com.apple.backupsd run the script right before connecting/running. (Any apple dev's have any insight. Ha Ha good one I know)

There is com.apple.backupsd-wake but don't know what it dose or for that matter where it is.

I'll post what I have when it works.

Mike

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.