Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I asked this because I have a friend whom I'd like to share music with via AIM and they live across the country so I can't just go to their house any old day and authorize it nor do I really want to give them my itunes password so they can do it them selves. If there isn't a way I hope apple implements this in the future. As of right now I have been having to burn and then reimport my music to strip the drm, but this is beginning to become a a pain. And i have looked in that playfair software that is supposed to strip the drm but i cant fined a updated version of it anywhere.
So if anyone knows if and how you can do this it would be well appreciated.
And thinks in advanced :D

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
If you trust said friend enough, you could just give them your iTMS username/password, and their computer will be authorized to play all music you have purchased in the past, as well as any future purchases.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Littleodie914 said:
If you trust said friend enough, you could just give them your iTMS username/password, and their computer will be authorized to play all music you have purchased in the past, as well as any future purchases.

Well I suppose that what I will have to do but I guess i am just nervous about giving out my passwords even with trusted friends it is not as though I don't know them in real life you see, I used to live were they are but then moved and I have just kept talking to them. But I will have to try that shoutcast thing thanks kingjr3. Also I thought the whole point of drm was to stop people from just giving out there music for anyone to have via p@p networks and that the whole point of having authorizations was so that you could still give some to your personal friends. At least thats how I interpreted it. :)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
iTMS Terms of Sale

YOU may play it on up to five Apple authorized computers. Not your buddy or your friends sister or your friend's friend - well, Im sure you get the point. But heres all the legal jumble from Apple's own website.

"CONTENT USAGE RULES
Your use of the Products is conditioned upon your prior acceptance of the terms of this Agreement.

You shall be authorized to use the Product only for personal, non-commercial use.

You shall be authorized to use the Product on five Apple authorized computers.

You shall be entitled to burn and export Products solely for personal, non-commercial use.

Any burning or exporting capabilities are solely an accommodation to you and shall not constitute a grant or waiver (or other limitation or implication) of any rights of the copyright owners of any content, sound recording, underlying musical composition or artwork embodied in any Product.

You agree that you will not attempt to, or encourage or assist any other person to, circumvent or modify any software required for use of the Service or any of the Usage Rules.

The delivery of a Product does not transfer to you any commercial or promotional use rights in the Product.

Refer to Terms of Sale for more detailed information on Usage Rules."

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/legal/policies.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.