Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsthemacaddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Arizona
I have the DMG for Mac OS X Lion and was wondering if I could run it in a virtual machine in Snow Leopard or can I run it as a separate installation on my Mac? Any help is appreciated. thanks.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Yes, just like you can run 10.5 and 10.6 alongside each other, but you'll need to create a separate partition on your drive.

CarsonGallo

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Oakdale, New York
I did it!!!

I did It. Took me 3 hours to work but I did it. But strangest thing ever is you need Leopard to do it. Cause for some reason you can't partition install Snow Leopard while running Lion. BUt you can part ion install Leopard when your running Lion. And once your done installing Leopard, you can then update Leopard to Snow Leopard while running Leopard, and once thats done, your good to go. And as for the partition goes set at least 15 GB of space for it. And during the Leopard installation don't install any of the pre-installed apps, language packs, and other stuff you don't need that you'll just be using in Lion.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I did It. Took me 3 hours to work but I did it. But strangest thing ever is you need Leopard to do it. Cause for some reason you can't partition install Snow Leopard while running Lion. BUt you can part ion install Leopard when your running Lion. And once your done installing Leopard, you can then update Leopard to Snow Leopard while running Leopard, and once thats done, your good to go. And as for the partition goes set at least 15 GB of space for it. And during the Leopard installation don't install any of the pre-installed apps, language packs, and other stuff you don't need that you'll just be using in Lion.

Where you running 10.5 or 10.6? With 10.6 you can partition you're hd and install lion.

CarsonGallo

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Oakdale, New York
I was running 10.7

I was running Lion when I did the partition, I did it cause there were was PowerPC app(s) that I still wanted to use. So I partitioned the hard drive with 15 GB, and installed Leopard on the partition. Snow Leopard wouldn't work. And then I updated the Leopard partition to Snow Leopard.

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
as far as using it as a vm goes...i don't know. i think you'd need it as an .iso file. I'm not sure though!

the way I'm going about it just now is having two partitions on my hard drive. i only allocated 25GB to Lion. If I need files or apps from my SL partition I just go to finder and bring them over to this partition. I can watch videos, listen to music from my SL partition while using Lion. I'm using Lion primarily just now, but I can always boot into my SL partition :) easy as :) I love Lion :D can't wait to the actual release :D

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
How did you do this? I want to run 10.7 in a virtual machine on 10.6. Can you show step by step instructions? I have 3 internal drives. How do I put it to and have it install on one of the partitions?

nzreg

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2009
What hardware did you do this on?

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I figured out how to do it. Download VMWare and install VMWare. Click new to create a new Virtual Machine, then drag and drop the Lion installer application onto the window then follow the prompts and install. It was very easy.

whoknows

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
Running Snow Leopard on new MacBook Pro (Lion native)

I figured out how to do it. Download VMWare and install VMWare. Click new to create a new Virtual Machine, then drag and drop the Lion installer application onto the window then follow the prompts and install. It was very easy.

So, is there a way to do this with a Lion native MacBook Pro? I had to buy a new machine after loss of previous. Power PC programs not running. Looking for a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.