Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
If I was to buy 750 USD, it would cost me 850 CAD, Apple is charging us 9$s more - considering the pain for collecting from the US...I would say the prices are as should be, Apple is not charging you more, you just need to calculate the foreign ex.

Gonna pre-order the Plus in Black on the 12th, well more like 11th 23:59.59

Last edited:

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
If I was to buy 750 USD, it would cost me 850 CAD, Apple is charging us 9$s more - considering the pain for collecting from the US...I would say the prices are as should be, Apple is not charging you more, you just need to calculate the foreign ex.

They ship from china

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
They ship from china

regardless...you can decide to convert the Chinese yuan in both currencies and the price will be the same. I would have been furious if it costed us 100$ more than our US counterparts which is not the case.

Kiju

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2010
What would you guys consider the best (non-grandfathered) iPhone plan to be right now? I'm considering buying off a contract. Am I screwed?

houssein31

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Wait, the online canadian apple store only lets us buy iPhones outright (and not with a contract) (at least in QC)...Im guessing there won't be a lot of people preordering it than?? I mean the "logical" thing people will do is get it in stores with a contract right?

Does that make sense?

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
On the Apple Canada store, are the phones for pre-order unlocked only? That's what it looks like to me, and they will be available for pre-order tomorrow at midnight PDT (Friday midnight, but it would feel like tomorrow for me)

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Nice, I'm on Virgin too!

I have the TBay $50 plan as well (though Virgin) so I'll be buying outright to keep that deal. I also want the 64GB 6+ so it looks like my credit card will be hurting next week :D

$821.71 is what 750 US is in our currency. Still not worth the trip over though.

Yes, but Apple is an American company and international business is usually conducted in USD.

They ship from china

Koodo $55 plan. Go over to Howard Forums to get the details.

What would you guys consider the best (non-grandfathered) iPhone plan to be right now? I'm considering buying off a contract. Am I screwed?

Yup, but you can pre-order through your provider.

On the Apple Canada store, are the phones for pre-order unlocked only? That's what it looks like to me, and they will be available for pre-order tomorrow at midnight PDT (Friday midnight, but it would feel like tomorrow for me)

Meh, better than paying $80, 90 or more per month with a contract on top of a massive upfront payment. But yes, Apple has pushed into four digit land with this behemoth.

Be prepared to spend $1200 for the 6+ 128gb off contract.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
I currently have a 60$ (including taxes) plan from rogers with 1 GB data, I have seen on their website they offer a 60$ (excluding taxes ) share everything plans with 2GB Data in Manitoba.

I guess I will upgrade if they allow me to keep my plan or change me to the above mentioned 60$ plan. If not, then I will buy a iPhone 6 64GB outright (970$ with taxes ouch), and keep my current plan.

However, I have done various calculations, and buying outright doesn't actually result in savings if you go for anything higher than 500mb per month data with the big carriers (Rogers, Telus, Fido).

wulfin

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2014
Calgary, AB
Any new phones that are subsidized on Rogers have to be on a Share Everything plan.. so you would have to move over to that to get a subsidized phone. Of course, if you haven't finished paying off your current phone, be prepared for that extra fee.

I've done the math myself and it's more cost effective to buy one on contract, BUT, most people that buy outright will then sell their current phone and use the money made on that to subsidize the cost of the next phone AND you wouldn't have to worry about being on a 2yr contract.

So that's a thought if you want to buy one outright - do you have a current phone you can sell to make up the difference? If I can make decent money on my Nokia, I might buy one outright and then you don't have to worry about the phone being carrier locked or having contracts to wait out if you want to switch carriers, etc.

Steel28

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Great thread!

Made an inquiry with Rogers and was able to negotiate wave of early upgrade fee of $150 (1 year left/iPhone 5), $100 of the new phone (going to iPhone 6+) and changed my plan for a 6GB, unlimited ld Canada and US, picture/video txt/iPhone value pack for $91/month.

Had similar plan but without video/picture text for $85 tax in.

Now I need to decided if I want to buy iP6 64GB outright and keep my existing plan or go for upgrade and bump my plan extra $10 (will gain video and picture messages).

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Anyone know when/if Wind will run their $500 BYOIP6 promo again? Tweeted them but obviously they said no info.

wulfin

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2014
Calgary, AB
Steel - nice to know they worked with you on that! That's an awesome rate since that's what I'm paying and get far less..haha. Too bad I'm going to be switching carriers when I get the ip6 ... not as much negotiating room.

----------

Anyone know when/if Wind will run their $500 BYOIP6 promo again? Tweeted them but obviously they said no info.

Last year it was announced only a couple days before the phone was officially released...so if they follow the same thing, they'll probably announce it next week (last year it was announced 3 days prior..).

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Rematches the keynote and realized that the phones will ship on the 19th. I am now worried. But last year shipment notifications didn't go out until it was out of delivery. So I'm hoping either Phil made a mistake or the other thing...

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
It's pretty hard to beat a Nexus 5 rumored to be discounted to $250 USD outright (currently $350 usd)
Pair that to an unlimited data plan at Wind for only $35/mth and no contract required.

wc17

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Great thread!

Made an inquiry with Rogers and was able to negotiate wave of early upgrade fee of $150 (1 year left/iPhone 5), $100 of the new phone (going to iPhone 6+) and changed my plan for a 6GB, unlimited ld Canada and US, picture/video txt/iPhone value pack for $91/month.

Had similar plan but without video/picture text for $85 tax in.

Now I need to decided if I want to buy iP6 64GB outright and keep my existing plan or go for upgrade and bump my plan extra $10 (will gain video and picture messages).

I'm trying to figure out if I should bother with doing an upgrade with rogers or just buying it outright from apple and keeping my current plan.

The current "share everything" plans that rogers is forcing people on who are upgrading now are bull--it and a crazy ripoff...

Where are you located? So you're going to have the $85 plan that Rogers offers but with 6gb data? The plan I'm currently on is the 6gb super plan they offered and with a small credit I'm paying about $60...and less than $70 when the credit expires in a year from now...

Just trying to figure out if it's worth it to upgrade as it'll cost me ~$600 (after early upgrade fee) vs. $859.00+tax from apple...

----------

Any new phones that are subsidized on Rogers have to be on a Share Everything plan.. so you would have to move over to that to get a subsidized phone. Of course, if you haven't finished paying off your current phone, be prepared for that extra fee.

I've done the math myself and it's more cost effective to buy one on contract, BUT, most people that buy outright will then sell their current phone and use the money made on that to subsidize the cost of the next phone AND you wouldn't have to worry about being on a 2yr contract.

So that's a thought if you want to buy one outright - do you have a current phone you can sell to make up the difference? If I can make decent money on my Nokia, I might buy one outright and then you don't have to worry about the phone being carrier locked or having contracts to wait out if you want to switch carriers, etc.

This is what I'm trying to figure out. I would be jumping up a good $20 a month easy, and that's IF I can get rogers to give me 6gb data at that $85 plan...going from a $60 plan (with 6gb data) to a minimum $80 plan with sh-t all worth of data is CRAZY at this point..

Really ridiculous the thievery that's happening with Rogers these days!!!

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Hey guys. I just want to confirm something.

I have my 5s on a Corporate plan with Telus. My mother is also with Telus, but not on a corporate plan. She is due for an upgrade. I believe that I can bring up to three family members onto a corporate plan like my own. If this is correct, should I then be able to have my Mom upgrade to a 6 under a corporate plan, and then swap SIM cards with her so that I get the 6 and she takes my 5s?

Is there any secret to swapping phones that I should know, or does swapping SIMs do the trick since both will be Telus phones using Telus SIM cards?

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Hey guys. I just want to confirm something.

I have my 5s on a Corporate plan with Telus. My mother is also with Telus, but not on a corporate plan. She is due for an upgrade. I believe that I can bring up to three family members onto a corporate plan like my own. If this is correct, should I then be able to have my Mom upgrade to a 6 under a corporate plan, and then swap SIM cards with her so that I get the 6 and she takes my 5s?

Is there any secret to swapping phones that I should know, or does swapping SIMs do the trick since both will be Telus phones using Telus SIM cards?

You won't have any problems simply switching the Sims. I used to do it in the early iPhone days when Apple didn't sell them unlocked and my wife would get the hand me down. At a later date you can even call them and get the imeis straightened out.

I have the Rogers 6 GB $60.00 deal too on 2 lines, so 12 GB of data is shared. It would be great if I could get the subsidized iPhone 6 without having to change plans now.
I've been without a contract for 4 years now and will stay that way unless I can negotiate keeping my plan.

ShaolinX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
wondering about usage overseas...

Hey guys, I'm an iPhone 5 owner and I was looking to upgrade to the unlocked iPhone 6 (4.7 version). However.. I am planning on heading over to Asia for school next year, and I am wondering about whether the Canadian model will support LTE over in Japan/Korea? Also, I'm a bit confused as to which model numbers are available for purchase for us here in Canada:

A1549(GSM) and A1549(CDMA)
A1522(GSM) and A1522(CDMA)
A1586
A1524

Which one should I be looking to get if I plan on heading overseas, presuming they are available to us? Thanks alot in advance for any counsel / advice, it's appreciated. :)

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Hey guys, I'm an iPhone 5 owner and I was looking to upgrade to the 6 (4.7 version). However.. I am planning on heading over to Asia for school next year, and I am wondering about whether the Canadian model will support LTE over in Japan, or Korea? Also, I'm a bit confused as to which model numbers are available for purchase for us here in Canada:

A1549(GSM) and A1549(CDMA)

A1522(GSM) and A1522(CDMA)

A1586

A1524

Which one would I be looking to get if I plan on heading overseas? Thanks alot in advance for any counsel / advice, it's appreciated. :)

You would need the factory unlocked iphone available from apple which would be the GSM ones. They are the ones that will work in Asia. Although you may not get LTE.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Hello everyone! I just moved to Montreal and was wondering how the supplies were here. I originally come from France, the 5S stocks were atrocious when it came out last year. Given that the iPhone 6/6 Plus (especially the Plus) will be blockbuster phones, do you think going to a Rogers store on Sep 19th is a good idea? I'm planning on getting a contract with them to pay the iPhone $399+tax (hence, not looking forward to going to the Apple Store and pay the unlocked version). I'll be looking for a 64gb silver iPhone 6 Plus: this model was unavailable for several weeks when the 5S came out in France, and judging by the comments I've read 64 is the new 32...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Anyone plan on pre-ordering AND going to the Apple store on launch day? I pre-ordered the 5S last year, but also went to the Newmarket Apple store at around 6:30am and was able to get the model I wanted. My pre-ordered phone arrived 12 days after the day I placed the order but that may be because I pre-ordered the gold one which I believe was in limited supply.

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Anyone plan on pre-ordering AND going to the Apple store on launch day? I pre-ordered the 5S last year, but also went to the Newmarket Apple store at around 6:30am and was able to get the model I wanted. My pre-ordered phone arrived 12 days after the day I placed the order but that may be because I pre-ordered the gold one which I believe was in limited supply.

I'm going to pre order and ship to house. From apple.ca

JButtonMCL

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
I'm gonna say good luck to those that think they can hardware upgrade with a plan under $80

Rogers is screwing everyone over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.