Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hexoffender

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Oh great, it seems that the CPCC (=Canadian Private Copyright Collectve) wants to put a $75 tax on a $30GB iPod!!! They say this is to compensate artists for "lost" revenue from digital copy^H^H^H^H^H^H Piracy.

Well, I guess this just further re-enforces the fact that Canadians are allowed to legally download music.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Oh great, it seems that the CPCC (=Canadian Private Copyright Collectve) wants to put a $75 tax on a $30GB iPod!!! They say this is to compensate artists for "lost" revenue from digital copy^H^H^H^H^H^H Piracy.

Well, I guess this just further re-enforces the fact that Canadians are allowed to legally download music.

well hex, they already did this once and it backfired. let's hope it happens again. i think it's completely wrong and a sign that our cdn govt likes to bend us over a table and have their way with taxes of all sorts.

sure, ppl dload illegally and share it. but, i doubt this is the bands' decision. totally the music companies i imagine. the sad thing is, there are completely legitimate ppl out there and they're going to get screwed.

i didn't even read this article as I read one similar the other day. what really, really ticks me off is that they want to now tax camera memory cards! that is the purest example of them trying to screw us. i don't know what in God's name a memory card for a camera has to do with music piracy. i mean..ok..sure...someone could feasibly put a bunch of songs on one, but this is screwing the senior citizen buying their first digital camera.

our leaders suck...big time.

Cheers,
Keebler

hexoffender

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
what really, really ticks me off is that they want to now tax camera memory cards! that is the purest example of them trying to screw us. i don't know what in God's name a memory card for a camera has to do with music piracy. i mean..ok..sure...someone could feasibly put a bunch of songs on one, but this is screwing the senior citizen buying their first digital camera.

our leaders suck...big time.

Cheers,
Keebler

I have a feeling that the next step will be to have a per MB (they'd probably want per KB) tax on ISP data for residents. Of course, if you are using the Internets, you must be doing something illegal.

If you treat people like criminals, they will eventually become criminals. Perhaps a more telling expression, however, is that those who act like everyone is a criminal, are usually paranoid from their own criminal behavior, thinking that someone is out to get them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.