Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darthzilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2006
So...

I'm working on making a comic book.

I've lettered up a page in Illustrator, then I save the page as a PDF. When I open it up Preview my fonts look fine.

When I open it up in Acrobat I get the "cannot extract the embedded font" error and my fonts have been replaced and look terrible.

Can anyone tell me whats going on?

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Darthzilla,

I'm not sure why you are having problems but it should be easy enough to fix. First, I would recommend trying to resave the PDF file from Illustrator making sure to embed the fonts. Although remember that some fonts will not allow you to embed them (which often creates problems like the one that you are having).

If you are still having problems, try turning the fonts into outlines before you save it as a PDF file. If you are still having problems, try using a different font.

Best of luck

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
FWIW, I don't generate PDFs direct from the Illustrator pages -- I save the lettered Illustrator pages as single PDF-compatible .ai files and then place them as images in a multi-page InDesign document for export to PDF.

I like the PDF export options better in ID and the option to control the visibility of layers from within ID opens up very helpful possibilities when dealing with multi-language or multi-script projects.

Cheers!

Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.