Cannot install Steam :(

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by TDHXXX, Nov 30, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

i just got my new imac (21.5" i5) and downloaded steam, dragged the file into the applications folder and it starts the first update (downloading ~34mb), it reaches 24 and then fails with a 'steam needs to be online to update' message, clicking ok closes the app and i get nowhere!

i have tried this three times each failed, i had steam installed on my old iMac (27" i7)with no worries.

any one know whats up?

i've emailed steam support but their only suggestion is to reinstall steam (but i can't install it in the first place. :mad: )

2. macrumors 6502a

Tried restarting the computer and/or router? Sounds like a network issue.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, tried that, I've been trying to get it to install for the last 2-3 weeks. :(

4. macrumors 6502a

Delete Stream prefs and application support etc and see if that works.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

It might... if I had those files to begin with. :(

6. macrumors 6502a

They should be created the first time you launch the app and it goes into self update. If they aren't created you have a permission problem on your machine.

Quickly try creating a new admin account and installing it there.

7. macrumors regular

lordjonny

does sound like a permission's issue, open up "disk utility" and click "repair disk permissions" see if that fixes it...

8. macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

PM "rbarris" here on the forums. He is busy, but a good guy and if anyone can solve the problem it would be him.

BUT I would exhaust all other options first.

9. macrumors regular

I had the exact same problem for about 2 weeks and I know how irritating it is. (I just got a new internet connection 2 days ago and no problems anymore)
    Maybe you will find a more cheap solution in this link:http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269939

It did help for me, but the problem might come back.