Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishbonex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
I bought a new G5 and upgraded to Panther immediately. My problem exists when I try to access files from my "Art Explosion" DVD's. All teh folders show up, and when you open the folders you can see the files inside of them as well, but they are misswing the icons to the left of the file name. But as soon as I click on one to open, it disapears. If I click and hold, and try to drag it, the file just doesn't open. If I try file/open from the program, again it can see the file names but with no icons and when you select one to open it shows no preview or size before just basicly failing to open the file. None of this happens with an error message at all.

These DVDs work on my buddys G5 which is the same setup. They also used to work fine in my G4 running OS 9.2.

I tried calling AppleCare, and if any of you have tried that lately you'll know that it ammounts no more than a Kinko-level employee reading the same case studies you can find online, they have no knowledge themselves (the last one suggested I call the makers of the DVDs, since it's obviously a problem on their end).

HELP!!!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: Cannot open data files on DVD

Originally posted by fishbonex
I bought a new G5 and upgraded to Panther immediately. My problem exists when I try to access files from my "Art Explosion" DVD's. All teh folders show up, and when you open the folders you can see the files inside of them as well, but they are misswing the icons to the left of the file name. But as soon as I click on one to open, it disapears. If I click and hold, and try to drag it, the file just doesn't open. If I try file/open from the program, again it can see the file names but with no icons and when you select one to open it shows no preview or size before just basicly failing to open the file. None of this happens with an error message at all.

These DVDs work on my buddys G5 which is the same setup. They also used to work fine in my G4 running OS 9.2.

I tried calling AppleCare, and if any of you have tried that lately you'll know that it ammounts no more than a Kinko-level employee reading the same case studies you can find online, they have no knowledge themselves (the last one suggested I call the makers of the DVDs, since it's obviously a problem on their end).

HELP!!!
Maybe you ought to install Print Explosion on your own G5.

fishbonex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
The Art Explosion DVD's contain clip art, you don't install anything to use them. You browse through the DVD's and open the EPS file you would like to use after cross referencing it to the 2 large books contianing pictures of each file.

They worked fine on my old G4, and I double checked them on my buddies G5 and they worked there. That is just one reason I know the Apple Care guy was wrong.

Any other advice and help is appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.