Cannot open pdf files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hat Lady, Dec 5, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2011
    Safari 5.0.6 will not open on-line pdf files on MacBook Pro - Mac OSX 10.5.8 & I need Safari 4. How do I get Safari 4 back? I have updated Adobe PDF.
  2. macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
  3. macrumors 603

He is on 10.5.8, same as Me and the latest Safari for 10.5.8 is 5.0.6

I too have the same problem and sadly I can not go up to SL nor Leon because I have a powerbook G4 and there is no newer version of safari for Leopard.
  4. macrumors 603

I removed all internet plugins except AdobePDFViewer.plugin in Library/Internet Plug-Ins and now it work.
    Now all I have to do is to find out the conflicting internet plugin, I suspect that the culprit is LogMeIn.plugin or LogMeInSafari32.plugin since those are the newest ones to be installed.
    I will get back to this when I found out the conflicting one(s).
  5. macrumors 603

Strange thing going on.
    I found which file was responsible for the PDF not to load but as You can see it seems to be corrupted not only on My startup disc but also on the second partition with the same OS X version on it.
    The file is actually an Alias or simplink and its name is JavaPluginCocoa.bundle inside the Library/internet-Plugins folder.
    What happens if its not in the Internet Plugins folder?
    Can't Safari use Java then?

Attached Files:

6. macrumors 68030

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep. Apple stopped supporting and providing updates for your machines. Install Chrome if you want a browser that still receives security and other updates. Switching to linux would also be an option ;)

About 5 years of software support seems normal for consumer laptops...