Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geloaizon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2018
Anyone can help me fix this issue?, I cannot restore or update my iphone 5 thru itunes.

Known issues:
- Cant turn on iphone, it only shows “connect to itunes” icon when usb cable is attached. (The possible restoring method would be on itunes only)
- Cant restore or update iphone, after all the process of restoring and extracting iphone, a notification window pops up saying “an unknown error occured.(-1)”

Anyone can give me some non technical possible solutions?(fixing without opening the iphone physically with the use of tools) Please help me fix and save my iphone, thanks in advance!

*ps: I’ve searched the internet about the error code (-1), some says it is due to chip being corrupted.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Some things to try.

1. Use a computer that is capable of running the latest version of iTunes. Please note, I do not mean the latest version your computer can run, I mean the latest version released. If you don't have a computer capable of running the latest version you'll need to find one.

2. Try different ports and different cables.

3. May be worth trying DFU Mode. You'll know you are in DFU Mode if your screen is blank.

Reactions: jetsam

geloaizon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2018
Some things to try.

1. Use a computer that is capable of running the latest version of iTunes. Please note, I do not mean the latest version your computer can run, I mean the latest version released. If you don't have a computer capable of running the latest version you'll need to find one.

2. Try different ports and different cables.

3. May be worth trying DFU Mode. You'll know you are in DFU Mode if your screen is blank.
Thanks for the answer, sadly none of those works. Anymore I can do??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.