Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
As far as the Blackberries and their ID's is concerned, that's one of the security features from RIM that makes IT like them so much. For example, if you report it lost, you can have it wiped remotely. Probably wouldn't work if you could just swap SIMs.

that's reallllly cool. now if some hacker just found a way to activate this feature on ALL blackberries in the world....would be a scene.

(sorry i just watched Die Hard 4....)

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
that's reallllly cool. now if some hacker just found a way to activate this feature on ALL blackberries in the world....would be a scene.

(sorry i just watched Die Hard 4....)

[Super OT]
Well the last BB I carried was a pager type it had a 6 digit pin. Start at 1 and send the message to all of them (one at a time). Although the real question is what is the message that needs to be sent.

[/Super OT]

Well we will find out in about 27 minutes if SIMs with iPhone data plans will work in other phones.

appleii2mac

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
Anyone have a chance to test this yet?

For reference:

Putting an iPhone SIM into another unlocked/AT&T smartphone/pda and trying to use the data plan.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
For those who wanted to know, I got confirmation from ATT that if you can ONLY use an iPhone Data Plan with an iPhone. You can't take out your SIM and use data on a different phone.

This mainly affects people, like myself, who already have ATT accounts that suffer from schizophonia, and need to be able to use a different smartphone whenever I feel like it.

See below:

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T regarding if you will have
to change your plan to use an iPhone. I am happy to help you with your
inquiry and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

To use an iPhone, you will be required to have one of the valid iPhone
data plans on the wireless number that will be activating the iPhone.
The iPhone data plan may replace your current data plan and your voice
plan will stay the same. Unfortunately, you will not be able to use
your current data plan with the iPhone and your current phone will not
be compatible with the iPhone plan. As a result, you will have to
change your data plan in order to use the iPhone.

Existing AT&T customers can add one of three iPhone Data Plans to their
current voice plan...​

I share in your desire to go out with the phone of choice for the day or night. It is/was one of the reasons I was looking at AT&T. It would have been nice to have the iPhone for every day use, and a Razr for when I needed to go out light and easy. . I know aboout call forwarding, but why pay for more air time?

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
i thought it was confirmed b4 that u were allowed to switch the iphone sim between phones?

sbrownla

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Arizona
You can...

i thought it was confirmed b4 that u were allowed to switch the iphone sim between phones?

You can switch the SIM to any other phone no problem.

But, if you try to use data (on the other phone) you will run into problems. While I'm sure you will be able to USE it, you will have to pay for it dearly.

The reason I inquired with ATT is because I use an excellent unlocked HTC device with Windows Mobile 6. I'd even like to buy an LG Prada at some point, which I can use if unlocked no prolem.

I use a LOT of data each month with it. If I want to switch between iPhone and my WM6 device, the data plan will not cover data I use when not on the iPhone.

That's the way it was explained to me numerous times, with the main post in this thread as the official from ATT customer service. I don't want to be tied down to one phone just because it's the iPhone.

I am an ATT customer because I enjoy the freedom of being able to switch phones and take my unlimited data plan with me just by popping the sim in another phone, 3G etc. No other carrier in the US allows you to do that! No single phone has everything I love--even the iPhone lacks features that I really enjoy, I don't need to list those.

To be paying for data, but unable to transfer it between devices that I am supposed to own is not fun for me. That's why I started this thread.

Here's the issue though: The iPhone data plan is 20 bucks unlimited. I pay 34.99 per month for unlimited PDA data. I pay MORE so I would think that ATT would be willing to allow me to pay more, keep my PDA plan, but use the phone I want to use, iPhone or otherwise.

I don't mind paying 14.99 for the real freedom to switch between phones and use all of the features of each. To me it's worth it but now, as an ATT customer, I feel as though they are limiting me. If profit was really their main interest, they'd let me pay more for what I want but there's something else going on--server issues, data limitation or otherwise.

It may change. They may open things up for customers depending on how well the thing does. We'll see.

appleii2mac

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
I would suggest that someone try it. It wouldn't be the first (or last) time that a CSR got the answer to an unusual question wrong.

sbrownla

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Arizona
You are correct. THe ATT manual says you can swap the SIM card from the iPhone to another ATT phone and it will work and it will allow that phone to have unlimited data.

do you have a link? the Apple manual says "you may be able to use the SIM card inside iPhone with another GSM phone." That's it. The Terms of Service say nothing either.

I know that ATT can recognize what sort of data is being used (smartphone/PDA/tether), and I changed my plan to PDA after being charged for PDA use with a smartphone plan...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.