Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ports

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Bothell,WA
:confused:I just bought and activated a 3G S 32 gb iphone and wanted to give my old 3G 16 gb to my daughter in Montana for her to use as a itouch etc. I restored to factory settings now it will not let me do anything without sim card? Any suggestions...:eek::eek:

UnbornApple

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Try putting the SIM card back into the phone while your doing the restore on the phone.

Once it goes though and is turned on again you can then take the SIM card out of the iPhone 3G and back into your iPhone 3G S

Ports

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Bothell,WA
Thanks for the help!

Thank you very much. I was starting to think I upgraded for nothing.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
that didnt mess anything up on your 3gs? im scared to do that with my 2g cause im having the same problem.

No. I upgraded to the 3GS from a 3G and gave it to the wifey to replace her 2G. The 2G went to her sister that didn't preorder and is waiting for delivery.

Long story short: 2G SIM went into 3G. 3G SIM went into HTC Tilt. 3GS activated on 2G account. New 3GS SIM went into 3G. Old 3G SIM went from Tilt into 3GS. Old 2G SIM in a cupholder in the car.

Any questions? :p

Daryl178

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
No. I upgraded to the 3GS from a 3G and gave it to the wifey to replace her 2G. The 2G went to her sister that didn't preorder and is waiting for delivery.

Long story short: 2G SIM went into 3G. 3G SIM went into HTC Tilt. 3GS activated on 2G account. New 3GS SIM went into 3G. Old 3G SIM went from Tilt into 3GS. Old 2G SIM in a cupholder in the car.

Any questions? :p

so how would i do it cause i was just gonna use a non activated att sim card in my 2g iphone. i need help cause i dont wanna mess anything up in my new 3gs

Daryl178

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
Try putting the SIM card back into the phone while your doing the restore on the phone.

Once it goes though and is turned on again you can then take the SIM card out of the iPhone 3G and back into your iPhone 3G S

Thanks it worked Im all Happy now :D:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.