Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rickay726

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
New Jersey
I was looking at the 24-70mm F/2.8 and really liked it, its a little on the expensive side but is it really worth the 1200 bucks?! some one please let me no if it is or if you guys would go with any other lens's, this is going to be my everyday lens, so let me know if any of you guys disagree with getting it

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
From what I've read, that lens is about as good as it gets. On the other hand, what do you need it for? For that price, you have a lot of options.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
What are you shooting? Is it a crop-sensor, or a FF?
The fact is that for a Canon SLR, there is no better walk-around lens. I use mine on a 5D, and I must say that it is the second-sharpest lens I've ever owned (next to the 70-200 f/2.8). This thing runs circles around my 50 prime.
Short- answer, if you can afford it, get it.
Here is a sample, full image and 100% crop.

Attachments

• IMG_0339 - Version 3.jpg
    IMG_0339 - Version 3.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0339 - Version 5.jpg
    IMG_0339 - Version 5.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 148

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
What are you shooting? Is it a crop-sensor, or a FF?
The fact is that for a Canon SLR, there is no better walk-around lens. I use mine on a 5D, and I must say that it is the second-sharpest lens I've ever owned (next to the 70-200 f/2.8). This thing runs circles around my 50 prime.
Short- answer, if you can afford it, get it.
Here is a sample, full image and 100% crop.

Which prime do you have?

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I rent this lens when i need it since i can't afford it. In fact, I pick it up tomorrow. I love it. Maybe a bit heavy for a walkaround lens, but amazing.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Other than the nice glass that went into the elements, what is making this lens to expensive?

this comes from an avid photographer, but without a dSLR.

Im just not that into lenses to know what you get for your $$$.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Other than the nice glass that went into the elements, what is making this lens to expensive?

this comes from an avid photographer, but without a dSLR.

Im just not that into lenses to know what you get for your $$$.

Speed (f/2.8, with nice bokeh), construction (built like a Sherman tank), you did mention nice glass, which yields contrast & sharpness.

While it's true that you pay for what you get in the world of optics, there are a couple od exceptions. The 50 f/1.2 ($1500) is supposedly only slightly better than the $300 50 f/1.4, and has been reported to have some autofocus issues.
Likewise, the edge-to-edge sharpness of the 16-35 f/2.8 Mk I (~$1200) was actually worse than the ~$650 17-40 f/4.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Speed (f/2.8, with nice bokeh), construction (built like a Sherman tank), you did mention nice glass, which yields contrast & sharpness.

Its also weather/dust sealed.

Its a fantastic lens--I loved on my 20D and I REALLY love it on my 5D (it rarely comes off). If I could only have one lens, this would be it!

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
The 24-70 is an incredible lens as everyone has said. I took pictures for a consulate program, horrible lighting at the program, but the lens focused quickly and was sharp which really impressed me.

Unfortunately, I don't own one yet (I rent it when I need it though) because of the price tag and because I'm still a student and can't afford it yet. I would rent one first before taking the plunge, test it out in some "real world" photo shoots or as you wander around town and compare it to what you already have. There are some great places to rent it online, not too expensive for 1 week.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
When I shot Canon, the 24-70 was my go-to lens on my 1D. I have since moved on to Nikon for reasons I could not explain here,but I still haven't gotten the Nikon 28-70. I am about to pick up a used one from KEH,just need some money to come into my paypal account.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I have a Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8 that I'm very happy with. :) It's sharp, too.

It's not USM, but it doesn't focus THAT slowly, although it hunts in low light. However, that'll happen with lots of lenses, even Canon ones, so that's not really a huge complaint by me.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
This is a wonderful lens. very sharp, I have had one for 5+ years and never have had a problem with it. I would definately recommend it and say it is totally worth the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.