Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
England
I'm hoping to buy a D-SLR very soon and I think I have decided on the Canon 350D. I might buy it this weekend and I'm just deciding on exactly which package to get.

Firstly I am rather pleased to have just stumbled across the Canon Mastercard Promotion and hope to save an extra £100 with that.

Jessops have a deal at the moment for the Silver body version, which comes with a USM kit lens (18-55 like the normal kit). Has anyone used this kit USM lens? Is it really much better than the normal kit lens?

I would prefer a black body, but would be happy to go with the silver if the lens is better. The Jessops price is £599 for the silver body, kit USM lens and a Canon bag. With the Mastercard cashback that's only £499 which really seems like a good deal.

Any advice from those of you who have this camera? - particularly on the USM kit lens please.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/158092/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/158811/

The first link seems more relevent, talks about the Canon 350D compared with the Nikon D70s and D50 from the end of the 1st page, and onward. Lots of good tips, and there's lots of arguing.

The 2nd link seems less relevent, but they talk about Canons and Nikons in general, there's some great info in there as well, and lots of arguing. :p

Or we can just sit here and have the discussion again, and argue in here as well. :p Whatever you want.

oldpismo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
UK
dobbin said:
Jessops have a deal at the moment for the Silver body version, which comes with a USM kit lens (18-55 like the normal kit). Has anyone used this kit USM lens? Is it really much better than the normal kit lens?
The person I sit next to has one of these, and they are great. I am planning to get one as soon as I save up the money.

The lens that is with the jessops deal is the same one you get with the normal kit (they are both usm) so if you want a black body I would shop around and get one.

Thanks for pointing out the mastercard deal. It may be worth getting a mastercard just for that.

Peter

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
England
Abstract said:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/158092/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/158811/

The first link seems more relevent, talks about the Canon 350D compared with the Nikon D70s and D50 from the end of the 1st page, and onward. Lots of good tips, and there's lots of arguing.

The 2nd link seems less relevent, but they talk about Canons and Nikons in general, there's some great info in there as well, and lots of arguing. :p

Or we can just sit here and have the discussion again, and argue in here as well. :p Whatever you want.

Thanks. I'm not looking for another Nikon vs Canon discussion. I'm fairly settled on getting the Canon (I think).

What I'm really interested in is whether anyone has any experience of the 18-55 USM lens that Jessops are selling with the 350D rather than the standard kit lens that usually comes with it.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Not True !

oldpismo said:
The person I sit next to has one of these, and they are great. I am planning to get one as soon as I save up the money.

The lens that is with the jessops deal is the same one you get with the normal kit (they are both usm) so if you want a black body I would shop around and get one.

Thanks for pointing out the mastercard deal. It may be worth getting a mastercard just for that.

Peter

Just to clarify this last comment, the lens supplied with the 350D kit in Black is NOT a USM lens. To be honest, either kit Lens is passable at best. The USM lens is slightly quicker in focusing (and quieter too) but other than that you would be better off long term getting a separate lens at another time. I have just purchased a 28-300 L-Series IS lens (£1600) and it is awesome, I use it on a 20D and it a fantastic combination. Still may be worth buying the kit (in Black if you prefer it) and then getting another lens as funds permit. In nearly all cases a reasonable body coupled to a good lens is still preferable to a great body with a mediocre lens.

Good luck

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
dobbin said:
Thanks. I'm not looking for another Nikon vs Canon discussion. I'm fairly settled on getting the Canon (I think).

What I'm really interested in is whether anyone has any experience of the 18-55 USM lens that Jessops are selling with the 350D rather than the standard kit lens that usually comes with it.

if you're set on getting it, then just buy it. i mean, it's a camera for chrissakes. just buy it and go out and take some pictures.

m

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
England
Moxiemike said:
if you're set on getting it, then just buy it. i mean, it's a camera for chrissakes. just buy it and go out and take some pictures.

m

I know its just a camera to a pro like you, but for me this is one of the biggest purchases I will make this year. Although I'm ready to move to a DSLR I'm not going to be buying lots of expensive lenses just for the moment. I'll probably get one of the kit lenses and a telephoto and they will have to serve me for a while.

So for someone like me just starting out, then even the difference between two kit lenses is important.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
dobbin said:
I know its just a camera to a pro like you, but for me this is one of the biggest purchases I will make this year. Although I'm ready to move to a DSLR I'm not going to be buying lots of expensive lenses just for the moment. I'll probably get one of the kit lenses and a telephoto and they will have to serve me for a while.

So for someone like me just starting out, then even the difference between two kit lenses is important.

then get the body and a tamron 28-75 f2.8 and you'll be very happy

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Thanks to you too

oldpismo said:
Yes, I appologise, I was wrong earlier. I looked at the canon site, and it only showed one EF-S 18-55, so I assumed that they only made one.

I have however found this interesting article answering just the question you are asking.

http://www.camerahacker.com/Canon/18-55mm.shtml

Hope it helps.

Thanks, that Camerahacker link is very interesting . . . . never knew about the macro on the lens, will have to have a look at that when I get home.

All in all the 350d is an AMAZING performer at the price, I have a 20d that I use as my primary body, having upgraded via 300d and 10d and in all honesty I will probably buy a 350d as a second body for my wedding photography business !

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
England
oldpismo said:
Yes, I appologise, I was wrong earlier. I looked at the canon site, and it only showed one EF-S 18-55, so I assumed that they only made one.

I have however found this interesting article answering just the question you are asking.

http://www.camerahacker.com/Canon/18-55mm.shtml

Hope it helps.

Thanks - an interesting article.

davegoody said:
To be honest, either kit Lens is passable at best. The USM lens is slightly quicker in focusing (and quieter too) but other than that you would be better off long term getting a separate lens at another time.

Thanks to you also. I do appreciate that the kit lenses are not going to be as good as the more expensive models, but if I can get one that focuses slighty quicker then it seems worth doing.

My choice is silver body + USM kit lens
or black body + standard kit lens.

I think I'm going to get the silver one

Hopefully I'll be posting some nice pics soon :D

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
England
Moxiemike said:
then get the body and a tamron 28-75 f2.8 and you'll be very happy

I thought about a lens in that range which would be ideal for the majority of my shots (probably) but then I'd need one more for the wider angles, and another for longer telephotos.

I'm thinking of getting the 18-55 kit and maybe a Sigma 55-200 as I think I'll be happy with 18-200 overall

Do you think I should try to get them to overlap so I don't have to swap so often?

There's so many decisions to make...... :confused:

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
Having owned BOTH an XT/350D and a 20D, I can definitely say that the XT is a really excellent entry level DSLR...BUT.. two things to consider:

(1) The camera is pretty compact, but the hand grip is really uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time for those with big hands. (myself included)

(2) The 18-55mm kit lens is not the greatest lens on the planet. Actualy IMHO its absolute crap. You should figure to possibly save for a nice walk around lens and dump the 350+ lens kit for a body only and a nice EF-S 17-85mm IS lens.

Other than that and body construction (and a few negligible setting annoyances) the shot quality of the 350 to the 20d is identical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.