Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
hello everyone,

well I got a Cnoscan LiDE 60, I had to install it's drivers, and when I push the scan button on the scanner, it opens the Canon software, which in my opinion wasn't written for macs, I really hate it. Is there ANYWAY, I can just push the scan button on the scanner and have it scan and send the image to my desktop without going through any of Canon's software?

Thank you,

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Jericho2550 said:
hello everyone,

well I got a Cnoscan LiDE 60, I had to install it's drivers, and when I push the scan button on the scanner, it opens the Canon software, which in my opinion wasn't written for macs, I really hate it. Is there ANYWAY, I can just push the scan button on the scanner and have it scan and send the image to my desktop without going through any of Canon's software?

Thank you,

You best bet is just to use photoshop's import function. I know that there is was a way on my lide 30 to tell the scanner to attach the scan function to photoshop, but that was on my PC. I recently installed the same scanner on my mac, but I just put the drivers in and do everything through photoshop.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
For my Canon 8400F scanner I called Canon up and had them walk me through the steps so that I can scan an item, then open it using PSE or just place it on my desktop in a folder. Also the fact as stated above just use the import feature in PS(E) if you have that. I do agree that the scanner software is rather poor, which is the total opposite of their printer software, which is very nice to use for borderless prints.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
thanks to both of you for your replies, my scanner has those four buttons, "Copy" "Scan" "PDF" "E-Mail" now I've never owned a scanner before, but I thought I could simply plug the scanner in, put a piece of paper in, push "PDF" and after scanning the PDF will be in my desktop with no need for any software, similarly with "E-Mail" button, I push it, after it is scanned, Mail opens and has a new e-mail with the scanned document attached...lol this was my idea of how it would work.

The way it really works:

I put a document, hit "PDF" on the scanner then this application called Canon Toolbox appears on my dock and keeps bouncing, bouncing, bouncing, bouncing....then beachball.....still beachball......beachball....then it starts to scan, it makes the PDF and when I try to open it, it opens it with Quicktime? REALLY disappointed at the software, but I guess I have no choice, do I?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
You should have Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF files. It really makes it easier when you scan for building a pdf folder (for a digital file cabinet). I did this about mid Dec.'05 with my Apple info/receipts just in the event I lost my paper receipts.
Other than that the four buttons (like yours) do just what they say they will, even though you may have to fine tune things, with the help of Canon if you get them on the phone. I have to setup everything again on my Intel since I did a custom install (fingers crossed).

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I have a Lide 35. I scan using Preview - I'm not at my system with the scanner attached right now but I think there's an import option on the File menu that takes you to the scanner driver screens. Once you've got the image you can print to a PDF or whatever you want.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
blodwyn said:
I have a Lide 35. I scan using Preview - I'm not at my system with the scanner attached right now but I think there's an import option on the File menu that takes you to the scanner driver screens. Once you've got the image you can print to a PDF or whatever you want.

thank you so much! :) Preview can scan, but it doesn't give me PDF as a choice...is there something I'm not doint right?

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Jericho2550 said:
thank you so much! :) Preview can scan, but it doesn't give me PDF as a choice...is there something I'm not doint right?

I just print the image file to a PDF document (File>Print>PDF) - works for my purposes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.