Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Any ideas? It's greyed out. I need to fix this!

SOLUTION:

Go to Preferences -> Spelling & Grammar.

Then click the checkbox.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
funny i had the same issue the other day - a quick restart of the program fixed it.

But it could also be that your custom dictionary (i.e. words you add) is full. I'm not sure how to fix that though..

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
ero87 said:
funny i had the same issue the other day - a quick restart of the program fixed it.

But it could also be that your custom dictionary (i.e. words you add) is full. I'm not sure how to fix that though..
I tried a restart, but still, same problem. Could I delete the Microsoft User Data stuff in ~/Documents and then see if that fixes it?

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Anyone!?! Please help. Deleting Microsoft User Data did nothing!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
For what it's worth, the custom dictionary isn't located there. The default custom dictionary is:

~/library/preferences/microsoft/custom dictionary

But now then... Go to Preferences -> Spelling & Grammar. Make sure that something is selected under Custom Dictionary. If not, click on the Dictionaries button and either try to find and add the file listed above, or make a new custom dictionary.

Reactions: tacosandbeer88

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Thank you, as in it worked? :eek:

If something I said fixed your problem, or if you otherwise solved your problem, can you please post what you did, so that other people can use it in the future if they have the same issue? Thank you! :)

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Yup, it worked by this:

Go to Preferences -> Spelling & Grammar.

Then click the checkbox.

Hope this helps!

macFan101

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
I also have the problem of adding words to Custom Dictionary. Mine is still greyed out, after creating a new one and adding it to the custom dictionaries list in Word prefs->Spelling & Grammar. I chose English (UK) for Custom Dictionary.

Anybody have any ideas?

macfanatic29

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
thanks

THANK YOU! i can't believe it worked for once. I usually come to this site for help and i'm disappointed when these remedies fail. But thanks for the help.

Sevenchild

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
Works like a charm!

Tools> Spelling and Grammar> Options>
1. Uncheck "Suggest from main dictionary only"
2. Click "Dictionaries" > check "custom dictionary" > click "ok".

Done!

shelleyfrank

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
Here's what I found: The Custom Dictionary needs to be checked as English(US) for the add option to work. I'm not sure why but I think it is because the native mac dictionary is US English by default. In the UK it is a constant problem among mac users. I had my custom dictionary set as English (UK) all the time and couldn't figure out why I can't add a simple word like colour to it. So I changed the cust dict language to English (US) and the add option came on. Alternatively you can set the custom dictionary language to (none) and it will work just the same.

riverteeth

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
I never had this problem until today, when I decided to try turning off the "check spelling as you type" feture. Now, as others have described, "add" is greyed out when I preform the spell check / also when I re-enable "check spelling as you type."

I made sure that Custom dictionary was checked, and that my language was US English. I can even open up my custom dictionary and see all the words I've added over the last year. But for some reason, when I run the spell check now, I get a message that reads: "The custom dictionary 'Custom Dictinoary' is not available." What gives?

Reactions: Back2Front

jimcil

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
riverteeth, I had the same error. Change the language to "(none)" at the very top of the list. That fixed the error for me and I was able to add words.

altomic

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
it worked

yes, the suggestion by mkrishan worked. thanks mohan.

that had been so incredibily fustrating.

grp57

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Thanks for suggesting that fix....it worked for me

This bug of having the Add greyed out has been plaguing me off and on for some time. Thanks for taking the time to post that solution!!!

ethanjrt

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for the explanation, Sevenchild. Worked like a charm; "Mohism" is now officially a word as far as this computer's copy of Microsoft Office is concerned.

Speaking of which, I'm curious what words YOU all were trying to add... I think it would make a funny thread to get a list going.

Flopsy007

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
It works like this (Word 2011):

1. You can place your custom dictionary anywhere (works great in Dropbox for use on several computers :)

2. Go to Spelling & Grammar > Dictionaries to get to the window called "custom Dictionaries". Here you can create a new dictionary anywhere on your computer and choose which custom dictionaries are active. The 'Language' option here associates that particular custom dictionary with a language of your choice. Select (none) to be able to use it with any language.

3. NOW THIS IS WHAT BUGS A FEW PEOPLE I THINK!
If you have associated your custom dictionary to fx 'English (UK)', then the document language must also be set to 'English (UK)', otherwise your custom dictionary is not active (and the Add button is grayed out). So in this case mark all your text (Cmd+a), go to Tools > Language and select 'English (UK)'.

4. To be able to edit/modify a custom dictionary e.g. add/remove words manually, that particular custom dictionary must not be in use by the document. So if your having problems modifying your custom dictionary you can close your document, create a New Blank Document and make sure the language are set to another language than your custom dictionary is associated to. Then you should be able to edit the custom dictionary.

This worked for me and I hope it helps a few people :)

Sourcherries

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
thank you!

Jimcil and Flopsy007, both of those suggestions worked.
Thank you so much, this issue has plagued me, too!!

gumdrops

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
Finally a solution!

Here's what I found: The Custom Dictionary needs to be checked as English(US) for the add option to work. I'm not sure why but I think it is because the native mac dictionary is US English by default. In the UK it is a constant problem among mac users. I had my custom dictionary set as English (UK) all the time and couldn't figure out why I can't add a simple word like colour to it. So I changed the cust dict language to English (US) and the add option came on. Alternatively you can set the custom dictionary language to (none) and it will work just the same.

I have been trying to figure out why my Word dictionary won't let me add words for over a year! And it turns out it was the simplest of things - I had changed my dictionary to English (AUS). Upon changing it back to English (US) I have been able to add words.

I can't begin to explain how relieved I am to have found an answer, it is so frustrating to constantly have to 'ignore all' Australian spelling of words because I couldn't add them to the dictionary! So thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.