Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I've had iOS7 on an iPad 4 for over 4 months with very little issues. The very first beta release was a bit laggy, but has significantly improved with the last two releases.

I've tested and still using iOS7 on an iPad2 and iPad3 as well with no issues whatsoever.

I recommend hard reseting your device.

I have not tested the latest GM release. It is my understanding that the GM is the same as the last beta release.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I've had iOS7 on an iPad 4 for over 4 months with very little issues. The very first beta release was a bit laggy, but has significantly improved with the last two releases.

I've tested and still using iOS7 on an iPad2 and iPad3 as well with no issues whatsoever.

I recommend hard reseting your device.

I have not tested the latest GM release. It is my understanding that the GM is the same as the last beta release.

Whenever I do an OS update I also do a hard reset.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I haven't even received the damn update, still says I have the latest with 6.1.3 :mad:

I'm going to update soon as it lets me know on my iPad 4, I've waited too long. He it doesn't lag on mine, although this is typical of new OS updates that are a major step.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I haven't even received the damn update, still says I have the latest with 6.1.3 :mad:

I'm going to update soon as it lets me know on my iPad 4, I've waited too long. He it doesn't lag on mine, although this is typical of new OS updates that are a major step.

Patience, the servers are getting hammered with download requests ! :apple:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
In the process of downloading and installing for the mini - will report back.

It's arguably the largest overhaul to the system EVER. Normally we complain there aren't enough new features and UI elements, and now that they've changed a TON, we complain because they didn't catch EVERY bug.....

Just like the Monday after football weekend, overreaction iOS download day is here.....where everyone and their mom becomes a server expert and expects perfection from a FREE OS overhaul.

Let's cool our jets and see what happens. 7.0.1 is already out, 7.0.2 is likely not far behind and 7.1 is already rumored in the works. I'm sure they have many of these issues figured out, but simply needed to get the release out the door along with the new hardware.

Can you imagine the vitriol if the new hardware shipped with NO new iOS. And Apple's excuse was "It's not ready, wait until Oct (or Nov or Dec)?

People would be livid.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Many, if not most, review sites have said...do not upgrade ipad 4 and mini for the very reasons being reported here.

Apple has said IOS7 is not yet optimized for ipad.

Tankfantry

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Houston, Texas
it's running like a champ on my iPad 2. My only issue is all my wallpaper is now WAY to big and it looks stupid. I tried scaling but that didn't work.

jenni122701

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2013
(Western) North Carolina, USA
IOS 7 is running pretty good on my iPad 3. I read somewhere the translucency look/option will not be available on iPad 2 or iPad 3. It sucks because I was hoping to see that on my 3. Oh well. Im still trying to do the update on my hubby's iPad 2, it downloaded it but is not doing right at the verifying and installing part.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
No problem here, but yea i prefer to disable all the eye candy including parallax, control centre, also the background refresh.
Setting wallpaper also laggy and jerky, sometimes when you are typing in safari keyboard also lags. But browsing experience feels faster.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Good to know as I have a Mini. There have been very very few experiences posted so far about the Mini running GM iOS 7 but those have been positive.

My mini is running fine. No stuttering or lags. Still not sure I like the changes though. Feels much more android like to me.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Patience, the servers are getting hammered with download requests ! :apple:

Lol, I'm trying. I just got the update notification, started download 15mins in and got a download error, going to wait 2 more hours or so, atleast by then there will be less traffic. :)l

EDIT:

Just realized if I wait two hours more I will not only be contending with Americans, Europeans, Middle Easterns and fellow Africans, but more Australians and Asians will be waking up to the update, lol, screw it, I'm doing it now!

Last edited:

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
IOS 7 is running pretty good on my iPad 3. I read somewhere the translucency look/option will not be available on iPad 2 or iPad 3. It sucks because I was hoping to see that on my 3. Oh well. Im still trying to do the update on my hubby's iPad 2, it downloaded it but is not doing right at the verifying and installing part.

Yes well here is hoping Apple notices that none of us are buying the excuse.

The iPad mini has the effects and it is the same hardware and resolution as the iPad 2. The iPad 3 is a bit underpowered for pushing pixels to it's retina display, but it can, and does, handle the effects just fine. If you look closely, you will see some places where they forgot to turn the effect off, most notably the Spotlight Search Bar and the notifications overlay on the Lock Screen.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Running fine on an iPad mini 32GB.

Some animations aren't as smooth as in an iPhone 5, mostly when going back to the home screen.

swabbie568

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011
My iPad 4 was laggy as hell after update to iOS 7. I reset the iPad did a restart and it fixed the problem....

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Finally done updating my iPad 4 :D so far loving the bright, cheerful and mordern look of iOS7, it's seriously smooth and fast, although I have had two freezes when setting the Wallpaper, but that's been it, overall? So far so good, still exploring, going to have a cup of tea while I explore then off to bed. :)

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Good to know as I have a Mini. There have been very very few experiences posted so far about the Mini running GM iOS 7 but those have been positive.

It's lagging bad for me on my Mini, Safari is almost unusable it's so laggy. I'm quite upset about it. I use my Mini ALL the time.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
The thing that has always differentiated the iPad from Android tablets was that Apple understood that the larger display space required rethinking how to organize apps and utilize the screen layout to optimize the user experience. Wherever Apple forgets this, it's going to hurt the usability of the iPad very badly. Music app, not optimize for iPad. Folders, not optimized for iPad. I'm sure there is more.

I agree. Having to scroll through folders with more than nine apps is utterly absurd. And, as you say, that's just the tip of the iceberg. My iPad suddenly feels like an iPhone wannabe.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
That's funny, for me iOS 7 was like an injection of Red Bull right into the veins of my iPad. It's much snapper, no lag whatsoever. But I'm on an iPad 3 and don't have Parallax and may be missing some of the other intensive eye candy. Perhaps I'm better off without them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.