Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
Hi,

I'm having trouble connecting to a wireless lab (802.11b) at work. I have tried entering the password and manually entering the submask, domain and IP numbers, but it still won't work.

Any help?? It would be so GREAT if I could get on. I've connected to other networks. I just open the lid, the powerbook wakes up, and I'm on. No so here!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

ps. I hope I provided enough info about the problem

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Since it is at work, they could have security measures in place and allow on certain MAC addresses to use the network. Before you EVER connect personal property to a company network, you should get authorization.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Re: Can't connect to 802.11b network

Originally posted by sjjordan
I'm having trouble connecting to a wireless lab (802.11b) at work. I have tried entering the password and manually entering the submask, domain and IP numbers, but it still won't work.

Any help?? It would be so GREAT if I could get on. I've connected to other networks. I just open the lid, the powerbook wakes up, and I'm on. No so here!
I think you're probably having the same issue I was having using a 3rd party base station (non-Airport). When it asks for the password, put in your WEP key surrounded by quotes. For example, if your WEP key (ascii) is networkkey, you would type in "networkkey". If it is a hexadecimal key, put a $ in front of the key.

I use a Dlink wireless router at home and I had to go to Apple's support site to find out how to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.