Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rojh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
QC/Bulacan
I cant disable rootless on Beta 5. Any work around? or its not working?

~ thenorthhitproject$ sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0"

~ thenorthhitproject$ sudo nvram boot-args

boot-args rootless=0

~ thenorthhitproject$

Still cant edit the system files. even after reboot and shutdown.

rojh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
QC/Bulacan
Recovery mode takes time to boot. Hmm should I do this every update? Hassle. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

rojh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
QC/Bulacan
Cant see any security configurations. :/ osx utilities includes restore from time machine, reinstall osx,get help online or disk utility.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Cant see any security configurations. :/ osx utilities includes restore from time machine, reinstall osx,get help online or disk utility.
Utilities at the top in the menu bar, the menu bar item. Click on it, and in the menu click Security Configuration.

rojh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
QC/Bulacan
Figured it out. Its not COMMAND R lol wrong instructions!!!!

Just press alt or option on the keyboard upon boot. Then choose the recovery partition.
At the utilities tab on the menu theres the security config.

Now another problem:
Upon disabling enforce system integrity protection.

Error: The operation cannot be completed (mach error -536870212 - (iokit/common) general error)

NOTE: Seems like a common issue in Beta 5. Will wait for an update.

Last edited:

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Note, KEXT developer override is also not working:

boot-args kext-dev-mode=1

But i can't load a 3rd party unsigned KEXT, it was possible in PB1

Reactions: rojh

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Figured it out. Its not COMMAND R lol wrong instructions!!!!

Just press alt or option on the keyboard upon boot. Then choose the recovery partition.
At the utilities tab on the menu theres the security config.

Now another problem:
Upon disabling enforce system integrity protection.

Error: The operation cannot be completed (mach error -536870212 - (iokit/common) general error)

NOTE: Seems like a common issue in Beta 5. Will wait for an update.
Command + R is also correct, but it starts your recovery OS directly, or it loads it from the Internet..
I also prefer pressing Alt to see all of the available options and then select the one I really want..

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Command + R is also correct, but it starts your recovery OS directly, or it loads it from the Internet..
I also prefer pressing Alt to see all of the available options and then select the one I really want..
Recovery does not appear in the boot menu when Core Storage is enabled, so Command-R can be the only option. In this case, the OP is probably dual-booting Yosemite and 10.11, and Command-R booted into the Yosemite Recovery.

rojh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
QC/Bulacan
No im not in dual boot, When I use command R it goes to internet recovery with mountain lion recovery mode (i know from the logo taht it shows) Im only using El capitan Beta 5. So I use Option/Alt during boot, but It shows error. This is only particular with BETA 5. I guess Ill wait for Beta 6 for a fix.

rojh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
QC/Bulacan
What protected file did you need to change anyway?
It was so long because it was booting from the internet "COMMAND R" I figured out to use, Alt/Option its faster, but Beta 5 has issues regarding disabling Rootless.

bisserwesser

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2015
So what if there is no recovery partition? The installer will only create such a partition on a clean install. Then you have to resort to third party methods to fix what Apple messes up.

Oberhorst

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2010
Stockholm
Doesn't work anymore in Beta 5. The menu item "Security Configuration" doesn’t exist anymore after the Recovery Update 2.0 but you can deactivate it via the terminal in OS X Recovery with 'csrutil disable'.

However, I’m not able to change app icons in the Applications folder anymore even though SIP is disabled. Really frustrating. Something else must’ve changed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.