Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pantoja4444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
I have a Mac Mini 10.5.8, every time I plug it into my monitor or restart the computer the screen displays different settings. Sometimes it's too big for the screen and sometimes its very bright and washed out. When I go to System Preferences to change the display settings there is no display options icon. I have another Mac Mini that shows the display icon under Hardware in System Preferences. I'm not sure if I somehow deleted the option or if its called something else on this version of Mac Mini but I've tried every setting that made sense and the screen is still different every time. Please help!

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
I have a Mac Mini 10.5.8, every time I plug it into my monitor or restart the computer the screen displays different settings. Sometimes it's too big for the screen and sometimes its very bright and washed out. When I go to System Preferences to change the display settings there is no display options icon. I have another Mac Mini that shows the display icon under Hardware in System Preferences. I'm not sure if I somehow deleted the option or if its called something else on this version of Mac Mini but I've tried every setting that made sense and the screen is still different every time. Please help!
Should be on the second line (Hardware) second icon from the left. I doubt you could have deleted it.

Just realized your on 10.5 so it should be second line third from the left.

pantoja4444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Should be on the second line (Hardware) second icon from the left. I doubt you could have deleted it.

Just realized your on 10.5 so it should be second line third from the left.

Yeah I have no idea why but it isn't there, is there any way to reinstall something like that? I tried reinstalling OS X 10.5.8 but it's still not there.

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi pantoja,
the 'Displays.prefPane' is stored in: HD/System/Library/PreferencePanes.
You could've lost it by mistake. You'll have to re-install your OS.
Here is where it should be:
(To add: if you've another Mac, you can copy this & place it in there without reinstalling the OS.)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-09-25 at 10.24.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-25 at 10.24.42 PM.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.