Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I am trying to install the newest beta of Boot Camp. When I download and then install it it says for a few minutes it is partitioning the hard drive and then says "Disk cannot be partitioned because verification failed. Use disk utility to repair". I then go into Disk Utility and select the verify disk option and then it comes up with the error "Volume header needs minor repair. First Aid faild. Underlying task report failed on exit"
I'm relatively new to Mac and have no idea what to do. This is a month old system, a C2D macbook pro but do I possibly have a hard drive problem? Is there a way to fix it if so? I used partitions in the past successfully but was going to switch to Boot Camp which now works with partitions but I'm glad to go back to the standard partitions virtual drive but yet if it's a bigger problem anyway with the hard drive I want to fix it. Thank you in advance for any help.

sen_almighty

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2003
I'm having the same problem, and can't figure it out. THe Disk Repair button is faded, so i can't click on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Cosmo modo

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2005
I had the same problems.
I ended up re-installing OS X Tiger and directly installing Bootcamp and Windows XP before i did any other installs on OS X.

Booting from the install DVD and trying to repair didn't work in my case.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
I had the same problems.
I ended up re-installing OS X Tiger and directly installing Bootcamp and Windows XP before i did any other installs on OS X.

Booting from the install DVD and trying to repair didn't work in my case.
So you actually tried to repair from the startup disk and it didn't work or did you skip right to the reinstall? I am very surprised to hear about this happening in this way. And how did you go about installing xp and boot camp without first having 10.4 installed; I was pretty sure you needed certain aspects of tiger to install any other application?

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I was having the same problems as everyone too but then gave up. I'll have to try the link geeserver provided. Thanks!

geeserver

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2006
PHX, AZ
This is how to use the disk utility.... Info from site.

Try a Safe Boot

If you're using Mac OS X 10.2 or later, you can start up your computer in Safe Mode, which includes an automatic disk check and repair. If you're using Mac OS X 10.1.5 or earlier, skip to the next section. A Safe Boot, which starts up your computer into Safe Mode, may allow you to start up your computer successfully using a reduced version of the system software. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start up in Safe Mode.
2. After the system has fully started up, restart your computer again normally.

If the computer successfully restarts, you do not need to do any more troubleshooting. If the issue persists, try Disk Utility.
Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
3. Click the First Aid tab.
4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Tip: Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume. Otherwise, you might see some disk error messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.