Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Either Seattle or Kona...
Hi-
I recently bought a new G4 iBook and it came with a install disk for OS 10.4.2. After installing the disk on the iBook I tried to use it to upgrade my G4 (Sawtooth AGP with OWC 1.2 Ghz processor, and 1GB RAM) to Tiger I got a message that said the software could not be installed on "this computer". In the past I have used many different install discs on many different nmacines, as I usually have at least two other older macs that I am using when I buy a new one...Is Apple making install discs system specific now, or is this because of the OWC processor upgrade?
Any help would be great!
-e

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
emc2 said:
Hi-
I recently bought a new G4 iBook and it came with a install disk for OS 10.4.2. After installing the disk on the iBook I tried to use it to upgrade my G4 (Sawtooth AGP with OWC 1.2 Ghz processor, and 1GB RAM) to Tiger I got a message that said the software could not be installed on "this computer". In the past I have used many different install discs on many different nmacines, as I usually have at least two other older macs that I am using when I buy a new one...Is Apple making install discs system specific now, or is this because of the OWC processor upgrade?
Any help would be great!
-e
If it is an Apple install DVD, and it is specifically labled for the iBook, then the answer to your question is "yes" Apple has been making install CDs/DVDs specific to the machine as a piracy prevention measure.

Other possible explanations could be that the DVD is an "upgrade" versus "full" version of Tiger, which would require Panther installed on your Sawtooth (won't work if you have Jaguar or 10.1). There's a teeny-tiny chance it could be the upgrade chip, since they are technically "unsupported" by Apple, but I haven't seen a machine yet that wouldn't accept OS X because of an upgrade chip (including my own).

Of course, you naturally wouldn't want to use a single license version of Tiger on your other computers anyhow, since posting about it is in violation of MR policy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.