Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
i copied some text off a web site and i can't seem to paste it into word whereas i can paste it into text editor. i've got office 2004 by the way. any ideas?
i just realised and did not like it at all

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, it's letting me paste it into Word X but it comes up with mainly blank characters because Word doesn't have the right font. It pastes normally in TextEdit for me because TextEdit can see that font. I'm not sure of a workaround though. :eek:

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
^^ I get exactly the same. If you paste into TextEdit and then into Word, you also get non-characters, but slightly different non-characters than if you post directly from the website. Weird. :confused:

Edit: It could be the encoding used - TextEdit (at least on my system) uses Unicode UTF-8, whereas Word defaults to Western European. I've tried the method set out in the Word Help file, but I don't seem to have all the options they specify, so I can't tell if it works. Basically go Preferences>General>Web Options>Encoding.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
tried that,still doesn't work
i also added greek fonts to the 'fonts' folder in office and still i can't paste
major compatibility problem batman!!!

it's pretty lame since i can type in greek or any other language but i can't paste greek text into word 2004. ????

does anyone know a way around this?

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Another odd thing - when it is pasted into Word and you can see all the non-characters and you have spell check turned on, you obviously get a load of the red squiggle spelling mistakes.

If you switch the language of the document to Greek, these all disappear, meaning that Word is recognising the text as proper Greek words - it simply can't display the characters.

Butters

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
UK
This sometimes happens to me when pasting from the web to word. I just wait a little then try again and it works. This might be a different issue to what you're having but it sounds similar.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
kiwi-in-uk do you have anything specially changed in your settings or something?

this is so bizarre!!!

still doesn't work on mine

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Sorry about the slow reply (was celebrating my 50th on 24th).
Yes - I used Safari to test the copy/paste, with no special settings.
Is it working now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.