Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
I reinstalled my OS and couldn't find my orig HP PSC driver so I downloaded it;.

It asked for OS 9 or X and I said X because that's what I normally print in.
But Photoshop runs in classic and I cannot print out anything because the chooser doesn't recognize the printer in chooser.

Any suggestions>

I'd hate to download a new driver because my OS X is the important system and it might mess it up.
Brenda

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
USB printer?
Then:
You'll need the driver for Mac OS 9, I'm afraid. No problem with Mac OS X, it can't touch it. The installer will work in Classic, and just install a couple of drivers in the Classic System Folder and a Chooser extension.

AppleTalk printer?
Then:
Mac OS 9's chooser is an AppleTalk browser so I assume you would like to print via AppleTalk.
You'll have to enable AppleTalk in Mac OS X first:
System Prefs >> Network >> doubleclick Built-in ethernet (or the network adapter it's connected to) >> select AppleTalk >> "make AppleTalk active"

Now Mac OS 9's chooser should alse be able to browse the AppleTalk network (maybe restart Classic first), and hopefully your printer will be available.

Good luck

DrRock

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2005
similar question

I just got a new G5, and it's the first mac I've owned. I want to install drivers for my printer, scanner etc., and it's mentioning the classic folder. Do I have to buy and intstall OS9 to get certain peripherals and applicatios to work?

Same thing with software. Photoshop for example. I can't load photoshop 6 into my computer. What do I do to resolve this? Thanks in advance.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
DrRock said:
I just got a new G5, and it's the first mac I've owned. I want to install drivers for my printer, scanner etc., and it's mentioning the classic folder. Do I have to buy and intstall OS9 to get certain peripherals and applicatios to work?

Same thing with software. Photoshop for example. I can't load photoshop 6 into my computer. What do I do to resolve this? Thanks in advance.
Classic should be pre-installed, though I haven't bought a new Mac recently, so maybe they've stopped doing that. In any case, OS 9 is included on your Software Restore DVD that comes with the machine. If it's not already on the hard drive, you should be able to get it off there. Easiest way is to insert the DVD, then Go > Go To Folder... and go to "/Volumes/[name of DVD here]/.images" (sans quotes). Then you should be able to just mount the OS9General.dmg and copy the System Folder to your hard drive. Then install Classic apps as you like.

Of course, you ought to think about replacing your Classic apps as you're able. There's a lot of benefits to having OS X-native programs.

DrRock

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2005
^

Ok, I have it on the disc, but do I just install it? I'm confused by the explanation of the go to folder. Is that where I select a folder into which I will install OS9? it looks like the install options on the disc are pretty musc of the default variety.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.