Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
So I just got a new disc player in my car and it plays mp3's so I thought I would make an mp3 disc for the car. Anyway, I made a playlist and hit the "burn mp3 disc" tab and get an error message that 47 of my songs could not be burned to an mp3 disc. Turns out that all the songs I bought on iTunes cannot be burned to an mp3 disc. This is some serious bulls**t!!!!!!! There must be someway around this! I bought the damn song and just want to put it on an mp3 disc! Any ideas?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Did you import all of your other songs in mp3?

I believe you must first convert any purchased songs (which are ACC) to mp3 before burning them on a mp3 disk.

If your import options are already set for mp3, all you have to do is select the song and select "Convert Selection to mp3" from the Advanced menu in iTunes.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Only way around it is to burn it as an audio CD, rerip to MP3, burn MP3 CD. You'll lose some quality but it'll probably be neglibile especially in a vehicle listening environment. You cannot directly convert the songs you purchased from the iTunes music store.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
SilentPanda said:
Only way around it is to burn it as an audio CD, rerip to MP3, burn MP3 CD. You'll lose some quality but it'll probably be neglibile especially in a vehicle listening environment. You cannot directly convert the songs you purchased from the iTunes music store.

which is illegal in the u.s. due to the dmca. :mad: :mad: :mad:

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
It's a sad, sad DRM world, but no you can't just magically transform that protected digital file you bought from iTunes into a bog standard MP3. Windows Media based services are the same kettle of fish. As the Panda says, your best/easiest bet is to burn and re-rip.

While I hate current DRM implementations with a passion, Apple's system is far from the worst I've used.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
SilentPanda said:

OMG, that is so much trouble to go through. I am actually getting pissed about this. So, I bought the right to play these songs but I am not allowed to convert them to a different format??? Why the hell not?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Rokem said:
which is illegal in the u.s. due to the dmca. :mad: :mad: :mad:
There is no DMCA problem there, the Apple DRM explicitly allows burning to CD. Once it's on CD, there is no DRM to circumvent.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
manosaurus said:
OMG, that is so much trouble to go through. I am actually getting pissed about this. So, I bought the right to play these songs but I am not allowed to convert them to a different format??? Why the hell not?

Ask your friendly RIAA members.

Get a CD-RW so you don't waste blank CD's.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
manosaurus said:

Because that is the agreement the record companies created to allow digital downloads of their music from iTunes.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
crjackson said:
the digg says otherwise on being able to actually OWN your music without restrictions;)
Unfortunately, the only way to truly get that is to write and record your own music. Even without DRM present, there are rights restrictions that the land sharks can (and do) act on.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
iMeowbot said:
There is no DMCA problem there, the Apple DRM explicitly allows burning to CD. Once it's on CD, there is no DRM to circumvent.

yes but the process removing copy protection and then ripping it is against the dmca because it reomves copy protection. not that it matters though cuase there'd be no way to prove that you did reomve the copy protection.

**side note. im not a lawyer. if you get sued off the planet and then thrown into jail, then i was the wrong person to listen to**

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Rokem said:
yes but the process removing copy protection and then ripping it is against the dmca because it reomves copy protection.
The act of burning to CD all by itself removes copy protection, and your license explicitly allows you to do that. When you re-rip, you are not removing copy protection, iTunes already did that when it burned the audio CD.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Well, pardonnez mon français but **** iTunes then! They definitely just lost a customer.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
iMeowbot said:
The act of burning to CD all by itself removes copy protection, and your license explicitly allows you to do that. When you re-rip, you are not removing copy protection, iTunes already did that when it burned the audio CD.

hmm. good point. lets contact the eff on this.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Even if you are allowed to burn iTMS AAC to disc, the player in the car would have to support Fairplay DRM, which isn't even possible because Apple has not licensed their DRM. It's evident Apple chose to go the iPod-in-your-car route, so you'll likely have to burn your AAC tracks to standard red-book CD and then rip again to MP3.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Audio Hijack Pro. Does it (aiff) on the hard disk without having to burn to cd and reimport as mp3. But I think I had to pay for it a few years ago.? Then you have to re-enter all the song info, but "I know somebody" who has success this way. ;)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
manosaurus said:
Well, pardonnez mon français but **** iTunes then! They definitely just lost a customer.

Wanna show me another store that allows you to change the format of their DRM music?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Yeah... ummm... aren't we pretty much done here? For some reason it sounds like this is "new" and "interesting" but the iTunes Store has been around how long now? This is like complaing that your CD's won't fit in your casette player at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.