Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
I was trying to follow the Apple documentation on how to do a clean reinstall on the MBP only to find out that the App Store won't download Mavericks anymore because it was removed from the App Store. The serial number associated with the MBP tells the App Store to find Mavericks, it won't look for the latest OS which is Yosemite.

What are my options other than walking into the physical Apple store and getting a reinstall done through them?

We have another Macbook that still has Mavericks on it but I can't find any installer in there. If I "download" Yosemite on the App Store, will I be forced to install Yosemite on that machine? Or will it just be a dmg file that I can move over to a flash drive?

Can anyone help? I'm really confused and frustrated with how the reinstall process works.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Probably, I think, you need to find Mavericks download alternative (such as torrent) to get this image. Apple don't want to provide you the previous version of software, even the immediate previous minor version (See how iOS downgrade becomes impossible due to apple shuts down signing in the software).
And I am afraid, if you go to Apple Store, they will likely install the Yosemite on your machine because they can only install you the latest software.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I was trying to follow the Apple documentation on how to do a clean reinstall on the MBP only to find out that the App Store won't download Mavericks anymore because it was removed from the App Store. The serial number associated with the MBP tells the App Store to find Mavericks, it won't look for the latest OS which is Yosemite.
If you boot the computer from Internet Recovery and if the computer shipped with Mavericks, you should get that when you reinstall that way. You access Internet Recovery by starting the computer while holding command-option-R. (the option key is what forces internet recovery.)

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you boot the computer from Internet Recovery and if the computer shipped with Mavericks, you should get that when you reinstall that way. You access Internet Recovery by starting the computer while holding command-option-R. (the option key is what forces internet recovery.)
Uh, yes, this way is more official, and maybe more reliable. :)
I didn't know that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.