Cant set up email rule on empty subject

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Moraigh144, Jul 28, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I have noticed that i am receiving a lot of spam emails where the subject line is blank . So I want to set up a RULE in the Preferences to automatically delete them . I cannot seem to get the RULES to accept " where subject is blank/empty." Can anyone tells me how you write " blank/empty" ?:confused:

2. macrumors G3

What if a friend forgets to put a subject on their message? So you might want to try as shown in the attachment. Note I haven't tested it, but in theory it should work. You might want to initially put them in a separate folder to check if the rule works.

Attached Files:

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi .. I have tried this and it doesn't work .. so i am assuming there is something else that indicates it means null/empty etc . Re friends with no subject ... i will take the risk ... the spam emails are now getting to high daily numbers

4. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

I don't think it works with it blank and I don't see a way to accomplish no subject. How about using the bellow string idea from here.

That should work.

Code:
    Where the Subject line does not contain 'a' or 'e' or 'i' or 'o' or 'u' or 'y' or '0' or '1' or '2' or '3' or '4' or '5' or '6' or '7' or '8' or '9'

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

This seems to have done the trick ... I have had no spam emails for approx 7 hours ..... many many thanks :)