Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Is this a known thing? I shared two AirTags from an iPhone 13. Then I tried to share one from an iPhone 11. The iPhone 11 was able to accept the shares from the iPhone 13, but not vice versa. I had to remove the AirTag from the iPhone 11, pair it to the iPhone 13, then share it with the iPhone 11. Both phones running iOS 17.

skrungemaster

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2020
Is this a known thing? I shared two AirTags from an iPhone 13. Then I tried to share one from an iPhone 11. The iPhone 11 was able to accept the shares from the iPhone 13, but not vice versa. I had to remove the AirTag from the iPhone 11, pair it to the iPhone 13, then share it with the iPhone 11. Both phones running iOS 17.
Not sure, I was unable to share any AirTags from my 13PM to an iPad Air 3

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
i’m having the same problem with my iPhone 14 Pro Max and my daughter is 11. But I know hers is not updated to iOS 17. So that’s where my problem is. This is becoming complex

I updated my daughters phone, and I’m still getting errors so it seems like they can’t find it it .looks like the network is not really completes to be shared between two or more accounts. I guess we gotta sit back and wait or see if somebody discover something. I hope it’s soon I’ve been looking forward to this for months. Luck

Last edited:

mrCrumbSnatcher

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
Same here - Both my wife and I have iPhone Pro 12s. Both are running iOS 17. When I share an AirTag with her, the shared status is "Not Shared" from my side. When I click on "Not Shared", I get a message saying "Sharing Failed - This AirTag couldn't be shared due to an unexpected error. Please remove this person and try sharing this AirTag again."

richie510

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
Same here - Both my wife and I have iPhone Pro 12s. Both are running iOS 17. When I share an AirTag with her, the shared status is "Not Shared" from my side. When I click on "Not Shared", I get a message saying "Sharing Failed - This AirTag couldn't be shared due to an unexpected error. Please remove this person and try sharing this AirTag again."
I am getting this exact same result.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
I wonder if the AirTags need to be updated. I wonder if Apple is going to issue airtag version update soon.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
I get "<contact> not eligible for sharing". I have a 12 pro, wife has a 12. Both on iOS 17. Both member of a family group. I own the AirTags and trying to share with her.
AirTags at 2.0.36

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Exactly what I saw

kjacques1

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2021
Same issue. Trying to share air tags between myself, wife and daughter. I was able to share with daughter, but when I want to also share the same tag with the wife, I get "Sharing Failed - This AirTag couldn't be shared due to an unexpected error.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
I read a post of Reddit that implied that ALL your devices had to be on 17. Including any iPads. That would suck.

mrCrumbSnatcher

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008

Just an update….. I was able to make it work by sharing the AirTags from my iPad. I did update my iPad to iOS 17 yesterday, but never opened the “Find My” app. Just speculating, but maybe I needed to open the “Find My” app from my iPad to acknowledge these new changes on all devices before trying to share. Regardless, I shared from my iPad and it worked.

Ertan

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2015
My mother has iPhone 7, she can't upgrade to iOS 17, so I updated my iPhone and iPad to iOS 17 and logged into my mother's iCloud account on the iPad. I added the Airtag on the iPad and send a share request to my iCloud account, and I accepted the request on my iPhone. It took some time, I had to reset the Airtag by removing and replacing the battery 5-6 times.

Tihis worked for a few days only. My mother's iPhone 7 can track the Airtag but for me it is unreachable for one week. I'll try these steps again after iOS 17.1

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
I did this and it worked. after adding ios17 to her iPhone 11(24 hours). I took out the air tag battery and placed it back. this morning it worked.

Reactions: koyeung
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.