Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I have this file on my desktop that i cant seem to trash. Whenever i try to do so a message comes up saying the file is being used by another task although it is obviously not. What should i do, how can i get it off my desktop? I know that you can boot up into classic and go to the desktop and erase it but i am trying to avoid classic because whenever i go there my computer seems to crash.

zbug

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2003
kuwait
hey try these

1) chk background proc see if its running
2) log in on another acct and del it ?
3) this always work :) log with roon and trash away :D

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Make sure there are no apps running, also, try force-quitting the finder and then trashing that file again.

If logging in as another user or rebooting does not fix it (which it should), you can use the terminal to do it

type:
sudo rm
followed by the path to the file.

but be sure you don't erase anything essential leaving just a '/' will erase your whole drive.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
you can try going to the terminal
and entering:
cd desktop (or wherever the file is located)
rm file name
that should eliminate it.
To make it clearer (i am in some pain from a fresh tongue piercing)
if your file is pdf.pdf, and it is on your desktop...
terminal
cd desktop
rm pdf.pdf
exit

let me know if this helps, and if any of those more versed in unix can better explain this, feel free.
--carly

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
i cant log in on a different account and access my desktop through the users folder. I even made the second login an admin and i still was unable to acess it. I am afraid to access the terminal cause i am unfamiliar with it and would need very specific instructions. It is an avi file.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Well i went into the termianl anyway and managed to figure it out after about 10 different attempts. Any way thanx for the tips i wouldnt have been able to do it without them.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
This works every time, and is very simple --

(in Terminal) type:

sudo rm -r

Make sure you put a space after the "r"

Then drag the file into the Terminal window to copy its path.

Hit enter. You may need to use your admin password.
Sorry I didn't get here earlier, this really is the easiest way to kill a locked file. It's so easy it's one of the few Terminal commands I know by heart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.