Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aj287772

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
I'am trying to upgrade my RAM on my macbook pro 2012 mid and I went to ifixit.com and I got the correct tools which was a #00 phillips screw driver and the spudger. For some reason I can only unscrew the four 3.5 mm shouldered phillips #00 screws, and only 1 3.5 mm phillips #00 screw and yesterday I could Unscrew the top left 3.5 mm phillips #00 screw so for some reason some of the screws won't unscrew and the screw driver just spins without the screws turning. I got an email from Ifix it saying "You shouldn't need an additional driver. Check closely for indicators of a stripped screw. That would be the most likely cause. Alternatively it could be a stripped screwdriver head and that would warrant replacing the driver." The screw driver isn't stripped and I don't think the screws are stripped either. If you look at
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+RAM+Replacement/10374

you can see the screw driver I need and then below that all the screws. It just so happens to be that the 3.5 mm screws (orange) don't unscrew or at least 2 doesn't unscrew and the 14.4 mm screws don't unscrew either. The 3.5 mm shouldered ones open up easy but for some reason the 3.5 mm and 14.4 mm don't open up so I doubt that they all happen to be stripped, because why would it be only those type of screws when the other type of screws work? Any Ideas what to do?

Thanks to all in advance.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
They're definitely stripped if the driver is turning and not gripping the screw (which is also making the situation worse of course).

Removing stripped screws is a terrible fate. I wouldn't go trying too hard and making it even worse but I've used the rubber band trick with success before. You basically stretch a rubber band over the screw head and press down firmly on the driver so the rubber band basically fills what is missing for the driver to grip onto and allows you to unscrew the stripped screws.

I doubt the driver head is stripped unless it is insanely cheap quality.

aj287772

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
They're definitely stripped if the driver is turning and not gripping the screw (which is also making the situation worse of course).

Removing stripped screws is a terrible fate. I wouldn't go trying too hard and making it even worse but I've used the rubber band trick with success before. You basically stretch a rubber band over the screw head and press down firmly on the driver so the rubber band basically fills what is missing for the driver to grip onto and allows you to unscrew the stripped screws.

I doubt the driver head is stripped unless it is insanely cheap quality.

Ok I will try. But why wold those particular screws happen to all be stripped?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I'm not sure honestly if it wasn't your own doing.

Try another driver just to be sure it isn't the driver head.

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
Apple like Lenovo uses Loctite blue to seal the screws in place--sometimes you need a ratcheting style screw driver with a #00 Phillips for extra strength to break the Loctite seal. On the other hand from owning a PowerBook G4 which the factory butchered two screws(too much Loctite), an Apple authorized shop had to use a screw removal tool(drill bit) & replace the screws :eek:

As with DIY work, you take the risk post-warranty headaches with unexpected issues. Seems like you just had very bad luck.

Reactions: bobcan

aj287772

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Apple like Lenovo uses Loctite blue to seal the screws in place--sometimes you need a ratcheting style screw driver with a #00 Phillips for extra strength to break the Loctite seal. On the other hand from owning a PowerBook G4 which the factory butchered two screws(too much Loctite), an Apple authorized shop had to use a screw removal tool(drill bit) & replace the screws :eek:

As with DIY work, you take the risk post-warranty headaches with unexpected issues. Seems like you just had very bad luck.

How do I find an apple verified store? I looked up on the internet but nothing showed up. I called apple a few weeks ago and they said they would email me an apple verified store but never did. Is there a website with ideas on how to unscrew the loctite blue seal? Is an apple store mean thats an apple verified store? Are there certain kinds of ratcheting style screw drivers so does that mean I need a certain one? I looked all over the interenet and can't find aything about what to do in my situation.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
As noted above, you will likely SEE some 'blue residue' on the screws you have removed _ that is Thread-locker compound _ if they have never been out previously, a bit of heat (hair dryer if able to pin-point the source, a true heat gun, or a solder pencil tip touched to screw head for few seconds) may help release the Blue Goo

** Also, note that sevreal of the screws are 'angled to the case' and NOT perpendicular to the Screen/Surface as would be a more natural sense, if you look closely it should be apparent which are as such, I think _ or perhaps iFixit site may describe better too.. Good Luck

W123a

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2015
If the screwdriver is turning he's already stripped the head. Sorry OP you're "screwed." If it makes you feel any better, it's way easier to do on a Mac than other pcs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.