Can't Upload Anything in Browsers

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by eddjedi, Mar 25, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I have just noticed that I am unable to upload anything in any of my browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari.) I have tried various sites such as Youtube, Sendspace, Mixcloud etc and the progress bar just hangs at 0% and then eventually stalls with an error. I have only just noticed this, but it may have been like this for some time. I am running OS X 10.8.3. I have tried searching on Google but "can't upload" is too vague. I believe I have the latest version of the Flash plugin, I'm not sure what other plugins may affect uploading.

Anybody got any ideas?

2. macrumors 6502

Sounds like an outgoing firewall may be blocking it.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. Good suggestion, but I don't think so. My PC laptop can upload fine connected to the same router, so it can't be the router firewall (I think.) I also tried connecting my mac to my iPhone's hotspot, and still no upload. So it seems to be something up with my Mac rather than the connection.

I don't have firewall turned on in settings, and I also tried disabling Little Snitch but that didn't help either. Oddly I just ran speedtest.net and that did manage to do the upload test, although it took quite a few seconds to connect to the upload server. Still no luck with any 'HTML5' website uploads though.

So I'm trying to think of everything I can eliminate to solve this:

Router - no (other laptop works)
    Firewall/Little Snitch - no (tried disabling them)
    Browser version - no (all up to date)
    Browser plugins - no (disabled in Chrome and none in Safari)

Could this be a Mac OS X problem?

4. macrumors 6502

Hmmm... make sure you don't have any proxies set. IF this is over wi-fi, try deleting the wi-fi device entry in network preferences and re-adding it.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

I still haven't managed to sort this out, it's driving me mad. Could it be to do with my Java version? Is there anything I can try uninstalling and re-installing to make it work? Any preferences I can trash? I have tried creating a new user account but no difference.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Solved thanks to somebody on the Apple support forums. It was the Cisco VPN client I have installed.