Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
How do I capture caption text? For instance, text shown in a dialog, etc. where highlighting won't work.

On Windows, I had an app called Scraper to do the job for me.

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
If it doesn't highlight I guess the best way to get the text would just be taking a screenshot (cmd-shift-3) then noting it down manually.

In Jaguar/Panther screenshots would be saved as PDFs and I think you might have been able to highlight/copy text in those files; but since Tiger's screenshots are in PNG format that won't be possible with you.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
croshtique said:
If it doesn't highlight I guess the best way to get the text would just be taking a screenshot (cmd-shift-3) then noting it down manually.

In Jaguar/Panther screenshots would be saved as PDFs and I think you might have been able to highlight/copy text in those files; but since Tiger's screenshots are in PNG format that won't be possible with you.

If you use the Dashboard widget "Capture" you can choose to save a screen cap as PDF. Don't know if it'll be smart enough to parse text though. I doubt it.

Edit: It's not.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Okay, so no program for text grabbing? We've been talking about how to do it internally with Tiger tools alone, so was wondering :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.