Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi there,

I have a canon S3 IS....no extra lenses or anything.

anything i need to know for trying to get a good picture of the lunar eclipse.

i realize i won't be able to zoom in all that much, but i'm hoping to get a nice pic.

is it bad to look at the eclipse through the lense/viewfinder? or is that just the solar? (you'd think i'd know this at 35 years old :)

cheer,
keebler

[Mod note: Merged with the Lunar Eclipse 2007 picture thread]

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Looking at a Lunar eclipse should be fine. It will leave a big bright spot in your eyes though. The moon is much brighter than people realize, mostly because no one tends to stare at it for a long time. I once used a 500mm lens on the moon... I couldn't see much out of that eye for a few minutes :)

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Supposed to start at 22h:00 here on the Equator. We're partly cloudy at present, so I'll see what we can shoot.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
I'm a bit gutted......i have spot on conditions here.....can see the moon in all its glory but i don't have the hardware to get a nice shot of it. Will have to see what i can do with digital zooming in CS3.

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
UK
Just hoping for it to clear...I remember it was a perfectly clear sky here for the solar eclipse several years back now.

If it does clear, hopefully I'll be able to try something with my D50 and kit lense :eek:

L

Lau

I just popped out to the offy, and it's perfectly clear here, although it was raining earlier, so anything could happen in the next few hours.

One thing I noticed is that the moon isn't quite full, and has a sliver off the side. I would have thought it would be perfectly full as the sun is directly in front of it for an eclipse.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
All my lenses are stored in a trunk in a bodega (unpacked). So if the cloud cover doesn't lift, I'll just use a 18-55mm on my D40. If it clears I may get out the 3-CCD 14X and shoot some video. The weather here can change in about half an hour.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
We've a nice clear sky tonight so I'll try to take some photos with point-and-shoot camera.

(I just had a little 'test-shoot' in the back garden but I didn't see the neighbours cat stealth me and jump onto the post I was leaning on. :eek: I've just poured myself a glass of wine to help me calm down!)

zRedbullz

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
UK
Crystal clear sky tonight here in SE England - perfect conditions for camera enthusiasts.

Tried a couple of test shots with my bog-standard average Joe Nikon Camera.

Result? Sh/t

L

Lau

Just took a break from designing a website to take the rubbish out – oh, Saturday night, you are so exciting – and snapped a couple leaning on the communal bins.

Yeah, not so good. :eek: But it's happening.

L

Lau

Hmm. A tripod and a better camera would have possibly been effective here :)rolleyes: ) but this is the best one I got.

Pretty awesome to see though.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Hmm. A tripod and a better camera would have possibly been effective here :)rolleyes: ) but this is the best one I got.

Pretty awesome to see though.

I got some crappy shots. I'll post in the morning...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Just been outside to watch the white bit disappear. Missed the last one of these because it was at 4am or something stupid. Loads of people just stood out in the streets staring at the sky like the extras in Doctor Who :)

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
As someone pointed out, I was in the wrong thread with this:

eclipse.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.