Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Carl Icahn pushes for things that will make him more millions without having to work one tiny bit (except running his mouth). What a shock! :eek:

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
my god, this guy is worst than aids and cancer combined, he will never stop being a pain in a.s.s to Apple ??? :eek:

kevinthebright

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2013
share value

Apple should be a bank. I trust them more than the current banks. They have strong reserves and banking is a perfect digital, global business.

For shareholders, the cash is priced into the stock. In a perfect world, isn't using it to reduce the number of shares outstanding share price neutral? Take the cash out without reducing the shares, e.g., a dividend, reduces the value of the shares by the amount of the dividend. A repurchase does the same.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
For shareholders, the cash is priced into the stock. In a perfect world, isn't using it to reduce the number of shares outstanding share price neutral? Take the cash out without reducing the shares, e.g., a dividend, reduces the value of the shares by the amount of the dividend. A repurchase does the same.

No. Cash is not reflected in the stock price.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Just look at that smug face. I have nothing at all invested in any of this, but that man pisses me off, and I want to poke him in the eye. I think if you get rich enough, at best you ought to use the wealth in good ways like Bill Gates, or at worst go buy an island and quit dicking around with the system.
If you want Apple to make great products you should care about this. If you want Samsung to make great ripoffs of Apple products (rather than making their own pathetic garbage like that silly watch of theirs) you should care about this. What Carl wants to do is for Apple to borrow a 12 figure sum of money, give him a quick payoff so he can sell in three months, and then limp away $100,000,000,000 in debt to face an eventual collapse. How selfish and short-sighted.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Actually they do.
Shareholders own the company and should be rewarded for risk on investment.
If AAPL don't like it they should do what Dell did and go private.
Until then it's their obligation to listen.
I guess you have no idea what you are talking about.

Sorry to break it to you but shareholders "owning" the company is a fiction right up there with the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Santa Clause (again, sorry for that disclosure). A modern day minority "shareholder" is more just along for the ride in the value of the stock than having any real call on the profits, or right to challenge business decisions made by the BOD or executive team. Shareholders, in general, are not the original investors and aren't seeking a "reward for risk on investment". They are buying for appreciation.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Either way, at some point Apple will have to address all of the overseas cash. It doesn't make any better sense to stash cash offshore than in the U.S. -- either way, it's money not doing anything useful for the company or the stockholders. The excuse that repatriating it produces a tax liability is going to wear pretty thin. It has already really. They can't keep kicking that can down the road forever.
I wonder if they are waiting for a one-time amnesty, something which has been proposed and I assume, lobbied for by many US companies.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
…making Apple buy back more shares to limit the number of outstanding shares and hopefully artificially increase the value of his investment. When that happens, he will dump and reap the profit.

Seems a lot of people here arguing that investors deserve some of Apple's money too (which I agree with) should consider what you're posting because I'm betting you're right. He's not just looking for dividends to be paid out. He's looking to game things in his favor, regardless of the outcome for everyone else.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
No. Cash is not reflected in the stock price.
Yes it is. The stock price reflect everything- profit, cash, sales, speculation about future products, speculation about the global economy, speculation about dividend increases and buybacks, etc. With that complex mix of fact and sentiment on a backdrop of broader economic variability there is actually no way to predict whether a buyback will raise the price, lower it, or keep it the same. Teasing out issues like this is the stuff of PhD dissertations. What we do know is that the act of announcing a huge buyback would likely cause a short surge in the share price, just enough for Carl to sell out and take his 'investment' to the next target.

leontief

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Sorry to break it to you but shareholders "owning" the company is a fiction right up there with the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Santa Clause (again, sorry for that disclosure). A modern day minority "shareholder" is more just along for the ride in the value of the stock than having any real call on the profits, or right to challenge business decisions made by the BOD or executive team. Shareholders, in general, are not the original investors and aren't seeking a "reward for risk on investment". They are buying for appreciation.

Until >50% of the shareholders agree with something. Then they are no longer along for the ride, and have a real mandate. With any normally held (non-fanboy) company that would be a real danger right now with all that cash and no good way to get rid of it.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Either way, at some point Apple will have to address all of the overseas cash. It doesn't make any better sense to stash cash offshore than in the U.S. -- either way, it's money not doing anything useful for the company or the stockholders. The excuse that repatriating it produces a tax liability is going to wear pretty thin. It has already really. They can't keep kicking that can down the road forever.
The correct way to handle the overseas cash is to invest it in doing more R&D overseas, and indeed Apple is gradually doing that. It would be nice if Apple could bring back that money to do the R&D in the U.S., but paying that huge tax bill just doesn't make sense for shareholders.

What Apple management knows, and you seem to be missing, is that Apple is in a very volatile business. They are always a misstep or two from being back in the red. Remember, in 2007 Motorola, Nokia, and RIM were all doing great. Now they are all going under or sold. Apple management also hasn't forgotten the days of having to grovel before Bill Gates. Apple needs an insurance policy and keeping their cash around $100,000,000,000 is a good one. Their current dividend, buyback, and investment programs are keeping cash pretty stable- time to leave well enough alone.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Not necessarily, not by a long shot. I've been an investor in this company for over 15 years now, so I think that counts as long-sighted. Apple is not a bank and is not in the business of accumulating cash and investments. Icahn is perfectly correct, and I would have to say so if only because I've arguing the exact same thing since Apple's cash hoard was a measly $25b.

As another longtime shareholder, I generally agree with you, Ignatius. However. With the "present" costs of repatriation, and the fact that we now seem to be entering a brave new world where having a huge chunk of cash might provide the ability to move rapidly and thus provide a real strategic advantage, I'm more than willing to go along for the ride.

----------

In this thread: Ignorance. Ignorance everywhere.

Well....almost everywhere.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
One problem, correct me if I'm wrong, is that most of that money is not in the US. Meaning they would either have to deplete their US reserves (not smart) or pay a significant tax bill on repatriating the money to purchase the shares.

They could do what they've done in the past with dividends and incur debt instead. With tax rates being so high and interest rates being so low, it may make more sense to do it that way.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
He really needs a new PR photo; his expression is that of a simpleton, not an intelligent businessperson.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Why are so many people upset with this guy? I know he's done some bad things to some other companies in the past, but so far he hasn't done anything bad for Apple or its shareholders. AAPL is too big for him; he can only make some noises with his 2% ownership which may not necessarily be a bad thing. Ordinary shareholders have no voices at all and I would rather have somebody like him to make some noises to express shareholder's concerns.

Having said that, Apple's problem is not that they don't want to buy back more shares; it's just they don't have the money in US dollars to do more buy backs. Most of the cash are out of the country, and they will face big tax bills if they bring the money back home. So how do they solve the problem? I don't know. But I for one don't want them to issue more debts.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Until >50% of the shareholders agree with something. Then they are no longer along for the ride, and have a real mandate. With any normally held (non-fanboy) company that would be a real danger right now with all that cash and no good way to get rid of it.

"Fanboy" is the new "holocaust"--as soon as you use that term, you've just lost the argument.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
He gives me the creeps. I don't know why, but I just don't like him. If the board isn't careful he could drain Apple dry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.