Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While most of the WWDC 2016 keynote was focused on iOS 10, macOS Sierra, and new versions of tvOS and watchOS, Apple also made a number of CarPlay-related announcements during the two-hour presentation.

CarPlay-new-800x330.jpg

First, the new Apple Maps appearance on iOS 10 and some new features extend to the dashboard. If there is a lot of traffic ahead, for example, CarPlay will now proactively provide you with alternate routes and estimate how much time you saved compared to your original route.

Additionally, CarPlay turn-by-turn directions will now be available directly in your instrument cluster in vehicles equipped with a driver-side peripheral screen for a safer driving experience.

CarPlay-instrument-800x330.jpg

Another feature that should make CarPlay safer is the Siri SDK. Apple is opening Siri up to developers, enabling third-party apps for VoIP calling and more to work seamlessly with the virtual assistant, and the functionality extends to CarPlay.

CarPlay-skype-800x328.jpg
Siri on CarPlay will support VoIP calls like Skype, which is not yet available in the car

CarPlay apps can now be rearranged or hidden on iOS 10 by tapping on Settings > General > CarPlay > Your Vehicle. Simply tap the add or subtract button on the stock or third-party apps that you want to add or remove. Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, Car, and Now Playing cannot be removed.

CarPlay-apps-removed.jpg
CarPlay apps can now be rearranged or hidden on iOS 10 (Image: 9to5Mac)

Just like on iOS 10, Apple Music has received a makeover on CarPlay that makes it easier to browse and discover music. The top menu options have changed from For You, New, Radio, Playlists, My Music, and Now Playing to Library, For You, Browse, Radio, and Now Playing. Curated playlists have also been added.

Apple-Music-CarPlay-iOS-10-800x413.jpg
Apple Music has received a makeover on CarPlay (Image: 9to5Mac)

CarPlay is also now supported on ultra-wide screens. The new features and improvements will require pairing an iPhone 5 or later on iOS 10.

Many automakers in the U.S. and abroad now support CarPlay, including Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Lamborghini, Lincoln, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, Porsche, Peugeot, Seat, Skoda, Subaru, Suzuki, Volkswagen, Volvo, and others.

Aftermarket systems are available from Alpine, JBL, JVC, Kenwood, and Pioneer.

Article Link: CarPlay at WWDC: Rearrange or Hide Apps, Apple Music Makeover, Alternate Routing, and More

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
What features does CarPlay enable that I couldn't do with putting my iPhone on a vent clip? I just don't see the point. It seems like a useless feature.

Easier to control with larger buttons and a more simplified layout. I've got my iPhone 6+ mounted horizontally on my dash and I regularly have trouble hitting buttons on it because the phone is just a bit too far away to do so comfortably. I would love for Apple to enable CarPlay interface on a phone that is mounted like this since there's no way for me to pull the radio out of my Nissan LEAF and install a CarPlay compatible one without losing a lot of functionality so the approach of mounting the phone above the stereo works but would be better if it supported the CarPlay interface.

santydolby

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
The real deal is when Google Maps makes its CarPlay debut.

Apple magnanimous enough to allow Google Maps on iOS but not on CarPlay?!

I am lucky that the car I just purchased has both CarPlay and Android Auto built in, and Android Auto (for Google Maps) is possibly the "only" reason that I'd even consider an Android phone.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
No thank you.

Am I the only person in the world that thinks this UI is ugly? There's nothing here but icons and text. And why the hell did they transfer the ugly home button of a phone into a digital icon at the bottom left of a car entertainment deck?

Simple UI = easy to read in moving vehicles. Do you really need to stare at fancy fonts and icons while driving?

tam305

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Please enable wireless Carplay. i just bought the 2017 elantra with Carplay and Andriod auto. Love carplay pretty cool. Auto is good to especially the map feature!

calvz

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
I recently bought a new car with CarPlay and for the most part I really like it. But every time I use it I have a decision to make - am I going to run Apple Maps through CarPlay or just use Waze on my phone (I still have a vent clip)? If I try to run Waze through the phone, CarPlay actually makes things more convoluted because what's on the car screen has to be on the phone screen. This actually makes for a more dangerous experience. Apple needs to open CarPlay up to 3rd party nav apps.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Nice. It will be nice to have a siriusXM app in carplay. I hate having to navigate back and forth sometimes.

mikegapinski

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
Anyone has a Carplay enabled car and an iPhone with iOS10 beta on it? I was just wondering if the new instrument cluster related features are working now? I think that a software update for our car's infotainment system might be required -> that means that we might never see any of new features at all :/

Reactions: QuarterSwede

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I was wondering if there would be some CarPlay advancements. Heck if they gave tvOS 7 min, they should have squeezed it into the keynote .

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Why is it that I just want to punch Eddy Cue?

Perhaps you weren't loved enough as a child, or frustrated with your life and want to be able to take it out on someone who is successful and happy? It's hard to know without more detail, but most likely this isn't the best location for you to find help and resolution on your anger issues. Sending you best wishes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.