Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Hi

I will be getting new iPad, not decided if Air or Pro but case will be available for either anyway.

My first plan was getting Zugu case:

Obviously new case for new iPad not out yet.

Then I saw comment on here saying Zugu case don't last long and cover comes off.

So I have another look and find this ESR case:

Have anyone tried one of them or both of them?

What you think of each and which is better (if you have tried both?)

Thanks!

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Hi

I will be getting new iPad, not decided if Air or Pro but case will be available for either anyway.

My first plan was getting Zugu case:

Obviously new case for new iPad not out yet.

Then I saw comment on here saying Zugu case don't last long and cover comes off.

So I have another look and find this ESR case:

Have anyone tried one of them or both of them?

What you think of each and which is better (if you have tried both?)

Thanks!
I love mine, very, very functional and protective of my iPad. It does add some heft and weight though.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Yeah I was expecting weight but my current iPad Pro 9.7 with case is pretty heavy so I doubt it be heavier than that so it be fine for me.

Reactions: jazz1

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
I have the ESR Shift arriving tomorrow. I’ve not used either before, but they appear to be quite similar. From my research, the Zugu is sturdier and has stronger magnets, but the front material does fray on the corners after time. The ESR has some extra functionality in the high view mode, portrait stand, and removable cover.

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
I have the ESR Shift arriving tomorrow. I’ve not used either before, but they appear to be quite similar. From my research, the Zugu is sturdier and has stronger magnets, but the front material does fray on the corners after time. The ESR has some extra functionality in the high view mode, portrait stand, and removable cover.
Let me know how that goes!

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
Let me know how that goes!
It's arrived. The build and material finish is exactly the same as can be seen in reviews for previous models. Obviously I cannot assess the fit or operation. The internal depth of the inner case is just a little over 5mm, so that's promising.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Does anyone know how long Zugu to release new iPad case since ESR already have?

Edit: I have decided to get Zugu case basically cos it more stable and reliable over long term and better customer services apparently.

Last edited:
Reactions: papbot

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Does anyone know how long Zugu to release new iPad case since ESR already have?

Edit: I have decided to get Zugu case basically cos it more stable and reliable over long term and better customer services apparently.
I could not recommend Zugu cases more highly. In my opinion they are the best case available for iPads if you don’t need a keyboard case. I had pre-ordered a case from them years ago before they were called Zugu. There was some delay in the manufacture of the new cases, I believe the initial run had incorrect dimensions, or some other flaw. The owner of the company reached out to all who had pre-ordered, explained the issue, and shipped the previous version of the case, which we all were able to keep even after the new ones were shipped out to us. I can only imagine what that cost them, but it won me over as a customer.

They won’t be the fastest at getting out a case for the newest devices, I think that early problem years ago have made them hold off until they actually have the device. Other manufacturers often go just by the posted dimensions rather than the actual device. This has, and does, sometimes result in problems.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
I could not recommend Zugu cases more highly. In my opinion they are the best case available for iPads if you don’t need a keyboard case. I had pre-ordered a case from them years ago before they were called Zugu. There was some delay in the manufacture of the new cases, I believe the initial run had incorrect dimensions, or some other flaw. The owner of the company reached out to all who had pre-ordered, explained the issue, and shipped the previous version of the case, which we all were able to keep even after the new ones were shipped out to us. I can only imagine what that cost them, but it won me over as a customer.

They won’t be the fastest at getting out a case for the newest devices, I think that early problem years ago have made them hold off until they actually have the device. Other manufacturers often go just by the posted dimensions rather than the actual device. This has, and does, sometimes result in problems.
Good to know they are great at customer services and I see now about cases being later than general. I would want case to fit perfectly so make sense they take longer than others by waiting iPad to release.

I will need think how to protect my iPad while traveling just few days after 15th. Zugu unlikely have case ready by then. Might need get cheap one somewhere for temp use.

Edit: lucky my father have old windows tablet from work never use cos it so bad and it comes with sleeve and measured it so it will fit my iPad. Phew. So I be using that as temp until order Zugu case.

Last edited:

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Also took delivery of the ESR shift today. Really impressed with the build quality. 750g all together and 185g for the back cover only for anyone counting (13 inch)

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
The Zugu will eventually come apart and it gets annoying to use. I wish Apple still made cases that worked along side their folio covers. Those were the best.

Reactions: asleep

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
The Zugu will eventually come apart and it gets annoying to use. I wish Apple still made cases that worked along side their folio covers. Those were the best.
I have one for my M1 iPad Pro. So far so good. But what specifically should I be looking out for "failure" wise? I do take the iPad in and out of the Zugu folio, but not very often.

multicore

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2009
Have you considered the Spigen Rugged Armor Pro, or does anyone have any experience with it?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
But what specifically should I be looking out for "failure" wise?
I did have one, purchased about 8 or 9 years ago, that did become quite ragged looking. They’re constructed quite differently these days, so this is not something I would worry about. If an issue did develop within a reasonable amount of time I have no doubt they would replace it for you. But after 8 or 9 years many people are getting new iPads. I still consider them to be the premiere non-keyboard ipad case. However I am a fan of ESR; they make great products. So if you want something immediately this might be the way to go. Although it looks as if it will be significantly heavier than the Zugu, albeit with a couple additional features.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jay-Jacob and jazz1

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
I have one for my M1 iPad Pro. So far so good. But what specifically should I be looking out for "failure" wise? I do take the iPad in and out of the Zugu folio, but not very often.
I've had them for the original ipad pro, ipad pro 3rd and 4th Gen. What happens is the glue in the seams stops sticking and they eventually come apart. It's a great case besides that 1 flaw. What I end up doing is re gluing with crazy glue but it's never the same. This time I think I'm going with the Otterbox statement Apple store has. Hopefully I like it.

Reactions: jazz1 and Jay-Jacob

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I've had them for the original ipad pro, ipad pro 3rd and 4th Gen. What happens is the glue in the seams stops sticking and they eventually come apart. It's a great case besides that 1 flaw. What I end up doing is re gluing with crazy glue but it's never the same. This time I think I'm going with the Otterbox statement Apple store has. Hopefully I like it.
I bought this one but am returning it. I'm used to the triangular folding base of the Apple Folio case and don't like how the back takes up so much desk real estate when folded under in standing mode nor how the "stand" part pulls away from the rear of the cover. It also felt very heavy. I ordered this ProCase from amazon which will be here today. Hoping I like it, if not, will sadly go back to the apple folio (was really hoping for a case that locks on stronger than magnets and has some corner protection).

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Has anyone had one of these...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.