Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
I used to have the iPhone but I switched to Verizon when the iPhone 4 came out--didn't care for its hardware design, or for the dropped calls on AT&T. I've stayed away from the iPhone since its release on Verizon, too; I still don't care for the hardware design. We'll see what happens with iPhone 5, I guess.

lhotka

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
For me it's a simple matter of timing - I'm waiting for LTE (I tend to keep my phones for 3-5 years). Verizon eliminated the 1-year contract option, so a non-LTE iPhone 5 isn't something I'd buy either, let alone an iPhone4.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
This just proves a lot of the verizon fanboys were all liars. They actually secretly switched to AT&T and got the iPhone already.

:)

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
That's not what my point is about. Did I argue that iPhone 4 isn't the top selling phone? It is.

But iOS is slipping and every time people starts saying wait for iPhone #, then iOS will gain again. iPhone # is released, it doesn't happen, people start talking about iPhone #+1.

Quality over Quantity. I'm sure Ford outsells BMW, but BMW is obviously the better choice.

LightSpeed1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Washington D.C.
I always believed the high sales of CDMA iPhone's would be a gradual process. Not everyone is just going to up and leave at&t and pay termination fee's. Over the next couple of years I'm pretty certain between LTE and contracts ending, the number of Verizon iPhone sales will grow exponentially.

oban14

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
What do you expect?

1) Most people (AT&T and Verizon) are locked into contracts.
2) When the Verizon iPhone debuted in February, we were all expecting the iPhone 5 in 4-6 months. Why get locked into an iPhone 4 when the 5 was just a few months away?

If there were no contracts and the iPhone4 had debuted on both carriers at the same time, it would have gone very differently.

JSchroeder80

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
As a verizon customer, I didn't run out and get the iPhone for 2 reasons:

1. I figured the iPhone 5 would be out in June

2. Verizon isn't as lenient about moving up your New Every Two date as they used to be.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
As a verizon customer, I didn't run out and get the iPhone for 2 reasons:

1. I figured the iPhone 5 would be out in June

2. Verizon isn't as lenient about moving up your New Every Two date as they used to be.
My contract ends in April 2012, but Verizon told me I can upgrade this December when the iPhone 5 (allegedly) comes out :)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I will say something about SPRINT. First off, that article is WRONG!

Baltimore, Maryland is the 1st SPRINT test market for 4G, but it's not even mentioned in that article! I know so because SPRINT is actively advertising it and it's been in other press reports. So how many other test markets did they miss in their alleged comparison of 4G vs. 3G I wonder?
Um, all of them, I guess. That test was carried out locally, since the local city, at that time, provided "4G" from the 3 tested providers. I'm not sure why that would be a problem for you. The only issue I have with it is that Tmob is not tested to cover all 4 national providers, perhaps that wasn't up and running in Detroit at the time. Maybe you'll like this?: http://www.rootmetrics.com/pr/reports/2011/20110320_Seattle_4G_Study.pdf

So, what magical speed does Sprint offer in Baltimore? Considering that they only claim maximum 6Mbps speed for their "4G" network, and that was achieved in the test, you shouldn't have any problem with it.

"4G" is the problem. As marketed:
Sprint: up to 6Mbps
AT&T: up to 6Mbps
Tmob: up to 21Mbps (however, I never see test reports breaking 8Mbps)
VZW: up to 12Mbps (but test reports show higher speeds)

Do you see anything amiss in the use of the same word for all that?

JasperJanssen

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
It will never be. EU adds specific tax to all products so unless apple puts a factory somewhere in the EU it won't change.

Uh, no. The difference in price between the US and the EU is the VAT or equivalent, which means that they will have to charge that for production isnide the EU just as well.

The biggest difference is that in the US it's easier to get an iPhone on contract and then skip out on the contract. *That* makes a significant difference. 600 euros including VAT or 600 dollars excluding sales tax, not so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.