Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

CompUser

Original poster
I am 14 years old and I will be 15 on the first day of school in september. I'm going into 9th Grade.

For my birthday I think I should get a cell phone because I'm going into high school. I think it would be good to have because I'll be playing soccer in the fall, I'll be skiing every friday in the winter, and I'll be playing lacrosse in the spring (an also my sister got one when she was a freshmen). The thing is that the practice schedules change a lot and when you go to away games you never really know when your going to get back, and I don't have a car of course.

A lot of people in my grade have cell phones too, but they never use them because they don't do anything or go anywhere. There are actually only 3 boys in my grade that I can think of that have cell phones and play sports, but 2 of them never have their's with them.

So thats my justification for a cell phone (oh yes and in middle school I made High Honors all 4 quarters in all three years- all As).

Anyways which phone should I get. There are a lot of appealing ones out there. Service wise verizon or cingular is probably what I would chose since t-mobile and sprint don't have very good reception where I live. But I don't like verizon because there phones are so old. I like the Razr but it got mixed reviews. I also like the sony S710 but will its screen get all scratched up?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Price wise I've noticed you can get phones for pretty cheap, so at the most $100-$150. I would like something that is nice, but I'm not really concerned about how good the camera is, etc because if I want to take a pic I'll use my real camera.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Who is paying for the service?

100-150 isnt going to get the phone you want..

I personally have a Razr phone. Its a bit lack luster in the feature area but it makes up for it by being super thin. I always hated my other phones because they were too thick making a big bulge in my pocket.

As for the S710, that is a really nice phone I heard. I did hear its a really nice phone. One of my coworkers changed from a Razr to that phone because it had more features, better camera, and a better display. However he had to sacrifice the thinness of the razr. The phone is pretty bulky =/

I would advise you to check out howardforums.com. That is the best place to find out information about phones and what might be most suiting for you.

L

Lau

Original poster
CompUser said:
I would like something that is nice, but I'm not really concerned about how good the camera is, etc because if I want to take a pic I'll use my real camera.

One thing that is worth thinking about is getting a reliable dirt cheap one. I use this:

B0000UI2WI.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and it cost me £30 new, pay as you go (no contract) and I think it's about £10 now. I agree about the camera - if I want to take a picture I use my infinitely better digital camera, if I want to video something I use a video camera, if I want to play a game I use my Gameboy.

If you can cope with a phone that only reliably makes phone calls and sends SMS with a basic address book, alarm clock, etc and a black and white screen, it's a good option. You don't need to worry about it at all and even if you break it it's only £10 to buy another one! Also a lot of people say "ooh, nice phone" so it must look better than the price it cost.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Get a cheap phone -- the chance of it being lost, stolen or broken within the year is pretty good. My son got a $500 phone, went sailboarding and forgot it was in his pocket. Salt water + phone = Doh! $500 down the tubes. He couldn't even roll over into a new phone because they insisted that would be a new contract and he pay out the "discount" on the original phone 'cause it was locked into a 3 year contact. Totally whacked. Make sure you know in advance what your obligations and options are on the contract.

I had a phone stolen, and I had $100 worth of "loyalty bucks" with Fido (the carrier) So I went into the store to buy a new phone - I could get one (that was advertised at $25 for new subscribers) for $150, less the $100 bucks I'd earned (7 years at about $150 per month mind you - also keep in mind I had asked all about this with customer service first) --- but nooooo --- If I wanted to pick up and carry out the phone that was right there in the store, I would have to pay full retail. In order to use the "loyalty bucks" I would have to order the phone and have them mail it to me in 7 - 10 days. Needless to say I cancelled their sorry @$$=$ on the spot and went to another carrier.

nels0360

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
Colorado
I agree with wako. If T-Mobile doesn't work well in your area, get Cingular if you want a nice phone. Make sure to buy it from Amazon.com for the best deals after rebates. You should be able to get a RAZR for free after rebate. I have one and it is a great phone for reception & size.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
The Motorola v60 fliphone is one tough little bastard. It came for free with my service and I highly recommend it. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped that thing and its still working. Its a very basic barebones phone so don't expect even a colour screen but it gets the job done.

C

CompUser

Original poster
my dad has the V60 but had a startac before which lasted like 5 years and then one day it just died. Even though he was eligible for new phone a couple times over he loved his god old startac.

My mom has the motorola V265 which I hate. Its cool looking but the screen is horrible.

My sister had the moto T730 which was an expensive phone about two years ago. First the charger broke, then the battery got extremely hot and was replaced, and now if you shut the phone quickly the screens don't work and you have to turn off the phone and then turn it back on again.

I think I like the Razr over the sony. The razr is has much more of a wow factor. I like the black razr but the silver matches my powerbook.

My parents would pay for the service.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Trust me, do your self a favor and get a cheap phone. I got the Samsung A670 for about 60 bucks once my old verizon contract was up. I think that's about the limit im willing to spend. Between worrying about pick-pocketing in the subways and breaking it while im skiing, I would not spend more than $100 for sure. Also, it seems to be a pretty durable phone with respectable features for something low-mid range. However, I did manage to break it in a serious skiing accident warming up before the race (pretty extraordinary circumstances though). If I were to do it all over a again, I would probably get something similar in size and price, but try to look for bluetooth so it can sync with my powerbook.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
CompUser said:
my dad has the V60 but had a startac before which lasted like 5 years and then one day it just died. Even though he was eligible for new phone a couple times over he loved his god old startac.

My mom has the motorola V265 which I hate. Its cool looking but the screen is horrible.

My sister had the moto T730 which was an expensive phone about two years ago. First the charger broke, then the battery got extremely hot and was replaced, and now if you shut the phone quickly the screens don't work and you have to turn off the phone and then turn it back on again.

I think I like the Razr over the sony. The razr is has much more of a wow factor. I like the black razr but the silver matches my powerbook.

Your first post sounds exactly like the presentation that your parent need to hear. Are they already on board? Price wise it would seem to be a better deal to be under the plan that your parents have. They often offer good deals on a family plan.

You are correct about Verizon, my wife chose them because of there better coverage in our area. Consumer Reports recommends the LG model, which is the one that she purchased. She likes the phone.

C

CompUser

Original poster
wdlove said:
Your first post sounds exactly like the presentation that your parent need to hear. Are they already on board? Price wise it would seem to be a better deal to be under the plan that your parents have. They often offer good deals on a family plan.

You are correct about Verizon, my wife chose them because of there better coverage in our area. Consumer Reports recommends the LG model, which is the one that she purchased. She likes the phone.

I think they are on board. But they usually say no, then yes, and then no, but usually end up saying yes on purchases. My dad's work pays for his cell phone so I guess my mom, sister, and I could get under the same plan, but their contracts end at totally different times. My moms ends who knows when and my sisters ends in January.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
CompUser said:

:eek: Unbelievable! When I was 15, I a) didn't need a cell phone, b.) realized that the only reason 99% of people my age had one was to look cool, c.) didn't get one but d.) would have taken almost any phone had my parents offered. I am only 18 and already can't believe how spoiled some people are here!

Incidentally, I have gone through all of high school and going into college..and still no cell phone, although I will be getting one now.

You name all these activities you are going to be in, why don't you try working to make some money, and buying yourself some of these luxuries? Maybe then you wouldn't care if your phone matched your laptop, but what phone and service gave you the features you needed, instead of worrying about getting a phone that 'looks cool'.

C

CompUser

Original poster
Verto said:
:eek: Unbelievable! When I was 15, I a) didn't need a cell phone, b.) realized that the only reason 99% of people my age had one was to look cool, c.) didn't get one but d.) would have taken almost any phone had my parents offered. I am only 18 and already can't believe how spoiled some people are here!

Incidentally, I have gone through all of high school and going into college..and still no cell phone, although I will be getting one now.

You name all these activities you are going to be in, why don't you try working to make some money, and buying yourself some of these luxuries? Maybe then you wouldn't care if your phone matched your laptop, but what phone and service gave you the features you needed, instead of worrying about getting a phone that 'looks cool'.

If anyone could tell me how to get a job at the age of 14 you tell me. Mowing lawns- nope all my nieghbors are either really weird and I wouldn't want to work for them and the others use professional lawn services. The only places where I have made money have been mowing my grandma's lawn ($40) but she lives 1hr away, making a slideshow for a teacher ($10 to dunkin' donuts), and making a slideshow of pictures of my principal (haha- I know) and her fiance growing up for her wedding shower ($20 paid by secretary).

My theory is is the phone is cool looking, free, has BT, and is carried by a service provider that has coverage in my area, why not get it. I'm seeing if that phone is a good one to get.

I wouldn't need a cell phone but I think its neccessary since all of these activites end at different times every day and such. The only people that have cell phones in my grade are the people who don't ever do anything and just sit around at their computers all day.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
I was 15 when I wanted a phone. I wanted a P910s or a S700. I ended up getting a prepaid t-mobile Nokia 6800. The reason is that you dont need all the crazy stuff in a cell phone. It seems that your very involed and need a a phone, not a 1.3 MP camera or a 1GB of memory. If you like a really nice phone, a S600 or a W800 would be nice. Go prepaid only because you can learn to not go over your minutes and then after you learn you can change to a plan.
As for trying to find money at age 15, I had an chance to work for my school as a comp admin. I ran around fixing little computer issues and set up new eMacs. All I can say is that FoolProof isnt foolproof. Well i ended up not taking the money and only volunteering.

C

CompUser

Original poster
xparaparafreakx said:
As for trying to find money at age 15, I had an chance to work for my school as a comp admin. I ran around fixing little computer issues and set up new eMacs. All I can say is that FoolProof isnt foolproof. Well i ended up not taking the money and only volunteering.

I tried to see if I could get a job doing something like setting up computers at school (too bad they're switching to PC) but they will continue to use Macs for a while. They only have volunteer work in that field but the guy never got back to me, he's going to be my soccer coach though so maybe I'll get some relations. (I wanted to try to buy a G4 before they sold them on eBay).

I know the FoolProof password for the middle school i used to go to because the computer teacher told me it. Both the password for its control panel AND the keyboard shortcut (which I always find myself using). I also knew the computer teachers password and my spanish teachers password because they both told me. I had a good reputation with teachers last year come to think of it. I always had to fix there computers.

I had a job to make a slideshow of pics of my grandpas friends son growing up. But I had school work, soccer, and a lacrosse but I had to turn down the job because I couldn't fit in time to scan in 200 pictures and have little subtitles for each picture in the video. I could probably get the job back if I tried now that I have some time (maybe have them try to cut out at least 125 pictures and no subtitles). My littlepowerbook wouldn't be able to handle it. And they probably would have paid well because they are extremely wealthy people.

C

CompUser

Original poster
Switzermac said:
Go for a 8800 or 8801 they are amazing i love mine.

Where do you get ones of those and how much do they cost?

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Dude just don't go buying a Treo 650 or anything. You are 15 no offense to you age but you AREN'T gonna use the full features of most phones. If you want to look cool get a black RAZR. You can find them for free if you look hard enough. Also DO NOT GO OVER YOUR MINUTES

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
CompUser said:
I am 14 years old and I will be 15 on the first day of school in september. I'm going into 9th Grade.

You don't want to hear this, but I agree with others who say get something cheap and reliable. My experience in high school is that valuable things will get lost, damaged, or stolen. The first two might not apply if you're far more responsible than the average 9th grader, but the 3rd is tough to control, and as one of only a handful of people with cell phones that will make you even more of a target.

I'd say get one of those clam-shell phones that goes for like $30-50, has a color screen and VGA cam. If you have extra money to spend, or if your parents have offered to spend more on your behalf, invest it in a headset, desk charger, etc. Or just save the money and spend it on something else.

C

CompUser

Original poster
paperinacup said:
Dude just don't go buying a Treo 650 or anything. You are 15 no offense to you age but you AREN'T gonna use the full features of most phones. If you want to look cool get a black RAZR. You can find them for free if you look hard enough. Also DO NOT GO OVER YOUR MINUTES

Ok Dad....

I'm sorry, I just had to say that. I do know what happens if you go over your minutes though.

I don't really want a PDA phone. I would like something thats not stripped of features. I guess I've decied something with good reception, BT, camera- all the phones have them now, and something that is reliable.

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
CompUser said:
Ok Dad....

I'm sorry, I just had to say that. I do know what happens if you go over your minutes though.

I don't really want a PDA phone. I would like something thats not stripped of features. I guess I've decied something with good reception, BT, camera- all the phones have them now, and something that is reliable.

Trust me im not as old as your dad. Get a free phone off the internet. Don't show the phone off in high school either. You WILL get it stolen. Not trying to treat you like my son just letting you know how it is.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
CompUser said:

IF your parent dont mind about online purchases, there are ALOT of deals online which you can simply get it online and after a few instant rebates and mail in rebates (that is to say if they ever come in) you will have the phone for free. Its a really good deal, but mail in rebates suck...

I personally got the Black razr though. I bought it when it was just released... in europe. Paid a heft premium but its one hell of a phone. I love the motorola designed carrying case. Its definately a good phone. Again though it doesnt have much features, but has enough features to satisfy me. I use it as an alarm and its LOUD. So I love it to death because of its SUPER loudness. Speaker phone is also pretty good. Compared to some of the other speakers Ive heard on some of the other Moto phones, its pretty good.

C

CompUser

Original poster
paperinacup said:
Trust me im not as old as your dad. Get a free phone off the internet. Don't show the phone off in high school either. You WILL get it stolen. Not trying to treat you like my son just letting you know how it is.

Amazon.com

Its free :). Not to sound ignorant but I think I am a responsible person. I don't think anyone would steal it if it was turned off and in my pocket or buried in my back pack. The teachers apparently don't care if you have a cell with you, as long as it doesn't interrupt the class.

People have had iPods and cell phones stolen rarely at my school but when they are, the person who stole is usually found and then since the school system in my town is so strict, they expell the person, call the police, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.