Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
I'm going to do something really unusual these days, and around here. I'll refrain from judging until I've either had experience with it or have evaluated others', lest I end up with foot-in-mouth disease.

That's smart of you because this case probably does what it claims. It's very similar to a Pong Research case, and those have been shown to work.

Wired wrote an article trashing Pong Research, and then had to eat a truck load of crows, retract the article, and write a new one based on a visit to a radiation testing lab which verified Pong's claims. (Which were that radiation to your head was reduced, and instead went elsewhere, where it could be more useful. No increase in total signal strength required.)

http://www.pongcase.com

http://www.wired.com/2013/06/an-iphone-case-that-makes-being-safe-sexy/

http://www.wired.com/2011/12/pong-ipad-case-investigation/all/

http://www.wired.com/2009/10/cellphone-radiation-testing/

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
That's smart of you because this case probably does what it claims. It's very similar to a Pong Research case, and those have been shown to work.

Wired wrote an article trashing Pong Research, and then had to eat a truck load of crows, retract the article, and write a new one based on a visit to a radiation testing lab which verified Pong's claims. (Which were that radiation to your head was reduced, and instead went elsewhere, where it could be more useful. No increase in total signal strength required.)

http://www.pongcase.com

http://www.wired.com/2013/06/an-iphone-case-that-makes-being-safe-sexy/

http://www.wired.com/2011/12/pong-ipad-case-investigation/all/

http://www.wired.com/2009/10/cellphone-radiation-testing/

Interesting, it seems pong has the same parent company as Reach79. Looks like same tech.

http://www.pongcase.com/technology.html

The pong case also says it "improved signal strength", but I guess the reach79 is a remarketing specifically on that feature vs the safety feature.

arn

Attachments

• SAR.png
    SAR.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 444

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
Too bad apple wont just make a 4.7 inch iphone with improved battery life and signal strength! :mad: yes the iphone 6 is sexy but cmon apple, why do other companies have to pick up your slack! :mad:

Essex711

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
NY
military grade drop protection except for the wide open bottom!. more case makers need to start designing cases like the elago glide which has a proper old school dock size opening yet still protects the edge:rolleyes:

This case looks fantastic, thanks for pointing it out! :cool:

Finally someone on macrumors with good taste! Do you feel the case restricts your view when taking photos and do you think that the case is bulky at all? How does it still on flat surface with the camera back casing protruding?

Thanks for answering my questions! :apple:

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
It's one thing to keep an open mind -- but it's another to understand some basic science and realize that this product CAN'T work as claimed.

For starters, you can't improve on an antenna's reception of a signal by placing other objects (metallic or not) next to it. They'd have to physically touch it, which is not possible with this case.

Think about the old fashioned "rabbit ears" antennas for a TV set or an antenna for an FM radio. Did you *ever* see somebody successfully get a better signal by stacking some empty beer or soda cans beside it? Nope. What *sometimes* helped was changing the antenna's shape or length by wrapping some aluminum foil around it -- but that involved it physically touching the antenna.

And secondly, there are certain optimal configurations for antennas based on which frequencies they're supposed to receive. This is where someone like a HAM radio enthusiast could go into much more detail than I can. But I remember from tinkering with CB radios, years and years ago ... there were what they called "full wave", "half wave" and "quarter wave" antennas sold for them. The idea was, the length had to match up with the size of one of the radio waves to get optimal CB reception - but alternately, you could go with shorter lengths too, as long as they were exactly 1/2 or 1/4th the length of the optimal "full wave" antenna's length. Anything else was less than ideal.

I'm sure with all the research Apple did, they already chose antenna configurations for the iPhone 6 which are the proper length and placement in the phone to receive the intended cellular frequencies. Adding more metal with a snap-on case isn't going to make it come closer to ideal, even IF it could magically make a physical connection with the internal antennas.

You could easily change the reception of rabbit ears by moving humans around a room without touching it.

Similarly, I can change the reception of my clock radio when the alarm goes off simply by holding my hand above it without contact. No hand = static. Hand = radio station. even when I do make contact with the device, it is with the plastic only.

So what you're saying isn't entirely accurate, but I still agree that his product is complete BS. Moving your hand away from the back of the phone will likely be better at improving reception.

babbit

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2010
This theoretically does work. Having different shaped antenna elements (i.e. the piece of metal in this case) changes the incident beam shape on the antenna feed. That in turn can "increase" signal. By increasing, you aren't actually upping the power of the signal itself. Every antenna has a certain amount of gain. By changing the shape or adding additional elements (they do not need to touch), you can change the gain at certain frequencies and effectively increase the total amount of signal.

This is actually what they do for antennas on fighter jets. You can't just put a big old dish on a fighter, so you have to add different shaped antenna elements.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Actually, I still use rabbit ear antennas. And I live in a weak signal area for both cell phones and televisions.

You do not have to have physical contact with an antenna to improve its signal. Otherwise my reception wouldn't improve when I actually enter the room with the antenna. Reception also changes depending on how I sit in the chair. Some channels come in better when I place my arms and legs certain ways despite not being next to the antenna.

It's weird, but true.

And yes there is foil on the antenna posts that I've shaped a certain way. I've also noticed that my reception will also improve when my neighbor comes home and parks their car outside my window. When their car is here, I can get channels that won't come in at all otherwise. It's annoying when my neighbor leaves in the middle of a good show.

So obviously placing things somewhere in proximity will help.

I've also used the antenna stickers for cell phone reception that others say don't work. With my reception, I had nothing to lose.

I haven't used them on every phone I've had, but I have used them on 3 phones. Those particular phones always dropped calls and never worked at my house. The reception was so terrible that if the phone did manage to ring when someone called, it would drop the call by the time you said hello.

After placing the stickers inside the phone's battery compartment, the phones were suddenly reliable and never dropped calls again.

I've used them on a flip phone, a HTC windows phone, and a HTC Android phone.

Sure I was skeptical. But when you have something that won't work, what have you got to lose by trying? $7 wasn't much of a gamble on a sticker.

So, I'll reserve judgement on this new case until after it is released and publicly tested.

Just like the stickers had mixed results depending on the user, the phone, the service provider, and the geographic area, these cases will likely help some people.

pmsl thanks for this:

".......When their car is here, I can get channels that won't come in at all otherwise. It's annoying when my neighbor leaves in the middle of a good show."

I have tears coming out of my eyes laughing so hard.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You can NOT increase signal strength passively. You may be able to focus signal from a larger area to a smaller area but the shapes required are not present in this product..

While I might agree there is little or no benefit to this product that statement is so wrong.

When you install an antenna on your house and run a co-ax cable to your TV or FM receiver which part of that is not passive?

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
If it goes on Amazon with 'Prime' sourcing then I'll buy it and test it just for the heck of it. As a Prime member I can return it without loosing a dime and even have it picked up at my doorstep.

Perhaps the critics here forgotten Steve Jobs comments of 'hold it differently' back when folks were experiencing reception issues when their hand bridged over the antenna gaps. I think it's entirely plausable that this low-jack gadget can improve signal strenght as claimed.

Okay, I don't much care for the style of case as I much prefer the folio design such as Vaja cases that I've used on my last three iOS devices. Either way it's easy enough to test without compromise so I'm in. :apple:

Last edited:

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
It's one thing to keep an open mind -- but it's another to understand some basic science and realize that this product CAN'T work as claimed.

For starters, you can't improve on an antenna's reception of a signal by placing other objects (metallic or not) next to it. They'd have to physically touch it, which is not possible with this case.

The Antenna design Gurus are really out in this thread with their basic science guide which is totally opposite to antenna design.

Go take a look at your neighbours house and look at the TV Antenna on the roof. You will find three essential parts to the design

1. The bit that the cable connects to or dipole.
2. A series of metal rods of diminishing size at the front as you move away from the main dipole.
3. A series of metal rods of increasing size at the back of the dipole.

These are called directors at the front and reflectors at the back. There purpose are self explanatory. The ones at the front direct or focus the signal onto the dipole while the ones at the back reflect the signal back to the dipole. They are not physically touching the dipole in any way.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012

You may be right, I don't know the physics of it, but I can extend the signal range that my car plipper works by placing the plipper next to my head to make it work at distances it would not work if I take it away from my head. So surely it must be using my body as an antenna extension?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I am no engineer, but gain is about signal-to-noise is it not? Perhaps this filters out noise in the relevant frequencies... In any case (pardon the pun), we'll see when somebody tests it properly.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
This product is total hogwash. It is advertising that it violates the conservation of energy. Also, the performance gain that they are claiming is only 2.04 dB or so, not stellar by any means. Plenty of other conditions as well as variability from iPhone to iPhone are going to swamp out any performance gains claimed by this product.

And finally, how did they get a patent for this? Identify the federal patent examiner and fire him/her!
Are you aware that dB measurements are done on a logametric scale and that a 3 dB gain means you have doubled the power.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
pmsl thanks for this:

".......When their car is here, I can get channels that won't come in at all otherwise. It's annoying when my neighbor leaves in the middle of a good show."

I have tears coming out of my eyes laughing so hard.

Always happy to entertain lol. Have a great day :)

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Interesting, it seems pong has the same parent company as Reach79. Looks like same tech.

The pong case also says it "improved signal strength", but I guess the reach79 is a remarketing specifically on that feature vs the safety feature.

arn

well arn, iphones DO have external band sections for antennae. Unlike most phones, you could actually use that to your advantage and make contact with them smartly (rather than shorting them). A case that would take advantage of that would be interesting. Im not an RF guy though.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007

arn

FWIW

The Pong site specifically says better outbound signal, whereas reach79 is saying better downloads as well which infers inbound signal.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
This thing has as much validity as all those supposed gas saving devices that Mythbusters proved don't work. :rolleyes:

Besides, the iPhone 6 already has very good antenna sensitivity, thanks to the antenna design borrowed (and legally licensed!) from HTC.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015

Think about the old fashioned "rabbit ears" antennas for a TV set or an antenna for an FM radio. Did you *ever* see somebody successfully get a better signal by stacking some empty beer or soda cans beside it? Nope. What *sometimes* helped was changing the antenna's shape or length by wrapping some aluminum foil around it -- but that involved it physically touching the antenna.

The LNB on my satellite dish antenna is no more "in contact" with the antenna than this device is with the iPhone.

Remember the old pringles can wifi antenna modifiers? They worked.

That said, yes this product is complete BS, but please don't use mistaken handwaving to try and "prove" it. You'll just confuse the issue and make people think there is some merit to this product.

How about this argument. Apple spent how many billions of dollars on R&D for the iPhone 6 and has been through how many revisions and if this device worked apple didn't build something similar in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.