Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Razer, known for its gaming laptops and accessories, today unveiled its latest product, the world's first triple display laptop. Project Valerie features a Razer laptop that's equipped with one main display and two fold out side displays, all of which are 4K.

Each display measures in at 17.3 inches, for what Razer says is the most expansive viewing experience in a notebook. Project Valerie is powered by an NVIDIA GeForce 1080 GPU and supports NVIDIA Surround View with a resolution of 11520 x 2160 for an immersive gaming experience.

projectvalerie-800x347.jpg

While the three displays can be used as a single display, they can also be used individually to run multiple applications at the same time. An automated deployment system that uses durable aluminum hinges lets the laptop be set up in a matter of seconds, with perfect display alignment.

According to Razer, though its equipped with three displays, Project Valerie has a form factor that's comparable to other 17-inch gaming laptops on the market, fitting neatly into a laptop bag so it can be taken anywhere. It's about 1.5 inches thick and weighs approximately 12 pounds.

Project Valerie is still a prototype machine and it is not clear if it will eventually see a release. No launch date information or pricing details are available, but interested customers can sign up to learn more about it on Razer's website.

Article Link: CES 2017: Razer Debuts 'Project Valerie' Triple Display Laptop

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
It's 1.5 inches and 12 pounds. For goodness' sake, there's no justifying this. I'd take any Mac over this, any day of the week. An iMac would be more portable.

If you know gaming, they don't care about THINNESS. It's all about what you can pack inside a laptop as much as possible for as little as possible. This is actually around the average specs of gaming laptops, albeit, a lot heavier.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
If you know gaming, they don't care about THINNESS. It's all about what you can pack inside a laptop as much as possible for as little as possible. This is actually around the average specs of gaming laptops, albeit, a lot heavier.

And if you know Apple, they don't care about GAMING. You can't compare the two machines as they have different purposes.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
This will never see production. There might be exactly 5 people in the world willing to put up with a 12 pound laptop, and I doubt any of them have the $10,000+ this would cost. Trying to drive AAA games at 4k is difficult even with a desktop 1080, much less trying to run THREE with a mobile version of that GPU.

Reactions: Ma2k5

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
It's 1.5 inches and 12 pounds. For goodness' sake, there's no justifying this. I'd take any Mac over this, any day of the week. An iMac would be more portable.

That laptop isn't meant for an on-the-go business person to go to starbucks. It's meant to sit on a desk most of the time, and be taken to LAN parties or whatever. Or maybe for someone to carry from hotel room to hotel room.

Then again, that's.. kinda what most laptops do anyway, sit on a desk plugged in all the time.

IMHO Razer is one of the few PC manufacturers that takes influence from Apple and still manages to really impress me. They have laptops that are similar in thickness and design to a MacBook Pro, yet those laptops pack GTX 1060s and 1080s. Not some warmed over last gen crappy Radeon GPU that overheats if you look at it funny.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
This will never see production. There might be exactly 5 people in the world willing to put up with a 12 pound laptop, and I doubt any of them have the $10,000+ this would cost. Trying to drive AAA games at 4k is difficult even with a desktop 1080, much less trying to run THREE with a mobile version of that GPU.

right, even the desktop 1080 (which honestly isn't much ahead of the mobile chip) can't drive three 4K displays gaming with any decent frame rate.

Reactions: xbjllb

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Dear Apple,

This is what courage looks like. Not just removing ports and audio jacks that millions use. Granted it's ugly as sin but at least they are trying.

Now that's what real innovation looks like.

How is it that everyone is at least 'trying' to be innovative... except Apple?! How did we get to this?

Lol.

1. This thing is massive and ridiculous. It's not meant for portability, and wouldn't even be able to game on all three screens.
2. This thing will never come out.
3. Is this really what you want from Apple? Giant, three-screened vaporware?

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
What a sweet concept, even if it's too hefty. This would be the ultimate all-in-one portable work/game-station.

The only thing I would add is a little sliding door on the side that holds a wireless mouse. That, and maybe a pop-up solar umbrella to keep you out of the sun and power the whole deal.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Dear Apple,

This is what courage looks like. Not just removing ports and audio jacks that millions use. Granted it's ugly as sin but at least they are trying.
Your comment is exactly why this is not what courage looks like and is why what Apple does really does take some balls. This is called throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks...and releasing horrid products that people are spending money on and this particular company has the worst customer support outside of South Korea. So yeah, courage.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
I was getting ready to post this, but you beat me too it! Lol. Actually it looks impressive... just don't want to use Windoze...

You may be able to run it as a hackintosh, but the reality is if this is the innovation in the computer world and the 2016 MBP is the innovation coming from Apple, it's only a matter of time until we all have to use windows. Apple just doesn't care to be int he mac business anymore.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Are they still in the scooter business?

Not sure if you're being a smartass or just ignorant. This has nothing to do with Razor scooters.

Razer is the company making machines sleeker than Macbooks with high-end gaming components. In beautifully engineered cases. Pay attention because these are the guys disrupting the mac business.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Wow. Three screens. Who cares if it isn't thin. Gamers who this is aimed at don't generally care.

Not just gamers. Imagine pulling this beast out at an office meeting, unfolding the screens and watching all the ultrabook and mac users around the table get an instant inferiority complex.

The only thing I hate about this machine is that I doubt I'll be able to afford the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.