Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Frankly, if TDP (and the associated power consumption) wasn't an issue, I'm sure Intel could slap one heck of a GPU on their processors (quad core GT3 maybe?) but then how would anyone be able to cool a GPU like that and how many people would truly take advantage?

Cool it? Easy, just chop the clock rates. There is tons of highly localized power management inside of this CPU packages now. In fact that was one of the major design objectives for Haswell to increase the scope and level of power management. The CPU cores , GPU + L3 cache , and other aspects are all locally managable.

So for the GT3 (HD5200) options Intel just chops the clock rates.

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/..._i7-4850HQ_and_i7-4950HQ_CPUs_in_Q3_2013.html

The HD4600 models run at a base rate 0.4GHz higher on x86 cores and the GPUs base rate is 0.2GHz higher. Dynamic range is lower on the HD5200 models and likely can't both run full blast on all 4 x86 cores and crank to highest GPU levels on all of its cores at the same time. Asymmetric loads will run better ( modest GPU with high x86 core utilization or mostly single threaded x86 core with high GPU utilization,*cough* a reason number of games, ).

It is the same thing Intel does with their ULV products these days. Same stuff just clock capped to keep the temperatures down. Gut the GPU core clock rate and then if need more room gut the x86 core clock rate and/or the number of x86 cores.

For the GT3 the lower clock rate on GPU is somewhat offset because it has faster/low latency memory throughput. Probably tuned drivers, a bit of a big "if" for Intel, and this can result in higher throughput.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
The iMac is definitely going to stick around. I think Apple would drop the Pro before the iMac. Honestly it seems like the Mini might be too upgradable for Apple's new standards.

Regrettably, yes. Because it has been several years since the MP was updated (the 2012 release was just a speed bump rather than a real release with new specs) people are hinging on some hints that there will be a new MP later this year.

If it does not happen people will split into 3 camps:
1) stay with their old MPs ... so no revenue to Apple on their hardware
2) switch to PCs ... also no revenue to Apple on hardware
3) move to minis (iMacs tend to not be favored since we are talking a market segment that wants to customize/upgrade their machines) ... not the ideal solution but not much choice if you are going to stay with Apple and do not want an all-in-1

So if Apple were to get rid of the pro they would be trading people buying their most expensive mac for people buying their least expensive mac. Which is obviously a pretty bad trade. Even so, I am sure I am not the only one eying the next mini release as a backup option if the MP line dies.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I may be alone here, but I would rather see a mini and a "maxi" (like the mini, but a larger case and desktop parts like imac's use) than anall in one imac. I know it would not happen, but I think they would sell well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.