Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macbudinc

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2023
I still hold out hope that apple could resurrect the ipod again someday. Like everything else that goes out of stlye but makes a comeback. An anniversary Ipod Edition would be great. Great example, Vinyl records! I see 20 year olds buying Vinyl that now cost 30 to $40 per album over say a Cd of the same artist which cost 1/2 the price and never wears out, explain that one that i thought id never see. I still remeber the 1st cds i ever bought in the late 80's and then proceeded to replace and sell off my old worn out vinyl for CDs(which i still have and loaded onto my ipod classic 160gig). yeah im a freak, I still buy my music on cds, and Bluray audio(rare but great), and collect the films i love on dvd, Bluray and 4k Bluray(still the best way to watch over streaming). But im ready for when if internet ever goes bye bye and dont get me stated on streaming wars.

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
I'm sad that I never got to own one of these. I remember hovering over them every time I went to Best Buy as a kid. I love how thin they are, the vibrant fun colors, the placement of the camera, and the white bezels.
Apple-iPod-touch-7th-Generation-32GB-Blue-New-Model_8926bedb-e861-42c4-8271-4785fed8f464_1.756072284411c4e2de80c334b5a817ff.jpeg

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm sad that I never got to own one of these. I remember hovering over them every time I went to Best Buy as a kid. I love how thin they are, the vibrant fun colors, the placement of the camera, and the white bezels.
Apple-iPod-touch-7th-Generation-32GB-Blue-New-Model_8926bedb-e861-42c4-8271-4785fed8f464_1.756072284411c4e2de80c334b5a817ff.jpeg
I still have mine. It is a fun little device but the battery life was never good.

I also still have my 4th gen iPod Touch. That had the "fastest" camera of any Apple handheld that I've owned. Less than half a second to unlock and take a photo. It was my travel camera on my trips to Romania and I was able to snap some unexpected, spur of the moment photos.

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
The iPod line is retired and not coming back. If Apple ever makes a dedicated portable media player in the future, it probably won't be branded an iPod and will be a very different experience.

That being said, it doesn't stop currently-existing iPods from working - especially the non-iOS models. If you really want a pure music experience, you can buy an iPod Classic for fairly cheap on eBay and modify it with larger storage and battery life. Because older iPods don't run iOS, they don't slow down over time and with the right maintenance, they will work just as well today as they did when they were originally released.

Reactions: Gravydog316

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Still have a 5th gen. Still use it at home. It’s wonderful.

New iPod still exists. Updated form factor, updated software, less capability, now called the Apple Watch.

• Love

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
Still have a 5th gen. Still use it at home. It’s wonderful.

New iPod still exists. Updated form factor, updated software, less capability, now called the Apple Watch.
Haha speaking of Apple Watch... I had an iPod Nano 6th gen (no idea how I got it, hand-me-down maybe) and I would wear it to school like a watch. I got a band and would put it through the belt clip on the back. Got in trouble a few times.

Kinda like this
ipod-nano-6th-gen-watch-strap.jpg

You bet I felt cool

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
I still have mine. It is a fun little device but the battery life was never good.

I also still have my 4th gen iPod Touch. That had the "fastest" camera of any Apple handheld that I've owned. Less than half a second to unlock and take a photo. It was my travel camera on my trips to Romania and I was able to snap some unexpected, spur of the moment photos.
yes, Apple worked to make the fast-opening camera one of their priorities, i remember

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada

If i win the lottery, you can have my gold iPod & a free gold case, & iPad & iMac
& 2 old iMacs & a broken iMac G3 & a G4 & i’ll get new stuff like one of those “iPhone” things & maybe a watch for the first time in my life 😂

…i use my iPod all night alone at the hospital listening to podcasts,
i like it better with the case, otherwise i find it too small,
& i must be getting old because the screen seems to be getting smaller on me 😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 40

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Apple made a strategic error in abandoning previous peripheral devices (iPods, routers, network devices, etc.) in favor of putting all its eggs in one basket - the iPhone. It lost a variety of customers interesting in more than just a cell phone. The technical wonder of Apple innovation in many endeavors has diminished if not vanished.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Haha speaking of Apple Watch... I had an iPod Nano 6th gen (no idea how I got it, hand-me-down maybe) and I would wear it to school like a watch. I got a band and would put it through the belt clip on the back. Got in trouble a few times.

Kinda like this

You bet I felt cool
I still have mine, with a nicely matching stainless steel band. when I wear it, it doesn’t draw any attention until I plug in some headphones. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: MakaniKai

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021

Kinda like this

You bet I felt cool

People doing this was what drove initial research into what became the Apple Watch.

The watchOS team came from the iPod team as well.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Wow, a watch that's wirelessly connected to your cell phone and acts as an extension. Incredible innovation. More of an expensive useless gimmick that's been successfully marketed as a fashionable must-have.

Reactions: RaphaZ and rafark

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Wow, a watch that's wirelessly connected to your cell phone and acts as an extension. Incredible innovation. More of an expensive useless gimmick that's been successfully marketed as a fashionable must-have.

Most iPods were extensions of PCs/Macs but somehow were popular...but I suspect you're not a good-faith poster so this will be the only reply.

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023

I just bought my first Apple Watch today. I got it to track my heart rate, and already it has detected that I get high heart rate when working. I am likely going to schedule a doctor's appointment and show them the results from my watch, after gathering some data.

When driving, the watch has helped me not miss exits because it will vibrate and let me know if I need to be turning right or left without even looking, just by the vibration pattern.

I have already noticed notifications from family members and work that I would normally miss because I don't feel the vibration of the phone in my pocket.

Tonight I plan to track my sleep and see if I can fix my sleep schedule using some of the unique sleep-tracking features that it has.

It is more than just a gimmick if you are open minded.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
Apple made a strategic error in abandoning previous peripheral devices (iPods, routers, network devices, etc.) in favor of putting all its eggs in one basket - the iPhone. It lost a variety of customers interesting in more than just a cell phone. The technical wonder of Apple innovation in many endeavors has diminished if not vanished.
& the funny thing is that people just buy a $1,500 iPhone to text each other ...hilarious!

Ismeon

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
United States
Hey everyone,

I'm a MacRumor's Forum newbie and I wanted to start with something I've been thinking about for a long time.

For years I've collected and Frankensteined iPods of all kinds, mostly needing to replace the AUX and batteries. From time to time I've come across some that needed full hard drive swaps and charging port replacements. For the most part thought they've held up quite well. I often connect these iPods to my car or walk around with them while at the gym, etc. I get a lot of people interested in it and most people are always shocked they still work.

With all that being said it brings me to my question. Is there an interest (market) that would be open to an iPod Classic re-release? My thought is you could have it be a colored model with a new UI (nothing previously used on iPod) that would allow for a Wi-Fi connection. This would open up the ability to have stored and streaming options while on the go (connect to hotspot). Now, I know a lot of people will probably say why not just use your iPhone, and that is totally understandable. This product would not be for everyone and would more than likely only meet the interest of vintage tech, apple, and iPod fans.

That's all, I look forward to the discussion.

[EDIT] I wanted to clarify my title. I'm not suggesting they release this within the next month. Just using this year's date as a method of showing I'm speaking about a new classic. Not the ones previously released.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
This sounds a lot like iPod touch to be honest, mostly because you mentioned streaming. Streaming is the reason classic iPods don't exist anymore. The iPod touch ran for the longest period for this reason, but ultimately people just get an iPhone.

Still, dedicated music player do exist, albeit not from Apple.

Reactions: Ismeon

Ismeon

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
United States
This sounds a lot like iPod touch to be honest, mostly because you mentioned streaming. Streaming is the reason classic iPods don't exist anymore. The iPod touch ran for the longest period for this reason, but ultimately people just get an iPhone.

Still, dedicated music player do exist, albeit not from Apple.
The only big difference in my eyes would be the classic design and also not having a touch screen. I see this more as being a wide-release item with a limited window. It's mostly just for nostalgic Apple fans looking to have an upgraded-style iPod with newer features while keeping the look and feel of the classic iPods.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
My guess is that demand for dedicated music players (DAPs) is from people, like me, who don't do streaming and want a large storage option. A modern phone should be able to stream well, whether it be an iPhone or a competitor.

Good devices are expensive. I didn't buy an iPod Classic until it was clear it had reached the final model. Previously I didn't think it was worthwhile for the storage available. Nowadays, for me, the last Gen Classic works well. You can install four microSD cards via the iFlash adapter and replace the battery when necessary. This gives access to 2TB of storage at a reasonable cost.

Most, if not all, currently available DAPs only offer one microSD slot. Some have offered two in the past. In time, 1TB and larger cards will become more affordable.

I suspect many people will have different ideas of the 'perfect DAP'. Mine would be much the same as the 6th/7th Gen Classic, but with a body that is closed by screws and so easier to open. The click wheel interface works pretty well for scrolling large libraries, much better than a touch screen. Physical buttons make usage easier too.

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
Definitely gone but much missed. I feel very nostalgic for my iPod. It was so cool when it first arrived. Being able to take my entire music collection on holiday with me, in a device roughly the same size as a packet of cigarettes, was unbelievably exciting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.