Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eimeria

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
I have an iPad Air 2 with Wi-Fi + cellular that I bought directly from Apple. I activated T-Mobile cellular data service on a month to month pre-paid data plan. I'm traveling to a location what T-Mobile service is bad so I wanted to switch carriers. My understanding of the Apple SIM in these iPads was that were not locked to a carrier after being activated and you could switch carriers at will unless you choose ATT who locks the sim to them.

I can't figure out how to activate service on another provider with this SIM. I only can reactivate T-Mobile service. I thought T-Mobile was not locking the sim once used with them. Does anyone know if you can change from T-Mobile to another carrier without replacing the sim? I called T-Mobile and they were completely useless.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I would think you'd be able to take the iPad to the carrier you wish to switch to and let them handle it. As long as the SIM isn't locked there shouldn't be any problem changing carriers. I know that with the Air 2 you shouldn't have to specify which carrier at the time of purchase like other iPad generations.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
On my iPad Air 2, with a T-Mobile plan active, I am able to go to Settings, Cellular Data, Add a New Plan. I then get a pop up that allows Sprint, T-Mobile, and GigSky (International) options.

eimeria

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
On my iPad Air 2, with a T-Mobile plan active, I am able to go to Settings, Cellular Data, Add a New Plan. I then get a pop up that allows Sprint, T-Mobile, and GigSky (International) options.

I think my problem was that I had cancelled my T-mobile plan before selecting a new one. When I called Sprint, they wouldn't release the SIM card unless I paid some random 3rd party website to unlock my SIM. Instead, I just walked into an AT&T store, got a SIM for free and bought a month's worth of data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.