Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Just curious if other people have noticed this and if there is a solution at all?

When I upload an image to MacRumours the photo is a lot duller, less saturated than the image on my Mac.

Edit to add: The same image uploaded to mu-43.com is very close to my original.

I did a rough screen grab of what I see on MacRumours (left) and what is displayed in Photos on the Mac (right).

Now bear in mind that these have obviously been changed to the "duller" MacRumours quality… but the difference is still noticeable.

Am I crazy or is this something I can rectify? Or shall I just live with it? 🤣

FYI, these are my Photos export settings:
1711448887208.png

Colour difference.jpg

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
How does the exported file look when opened in Preview? Unless the forums compress the image somehow it sounds like you are exporting in a different color profile from the original image.

Reactions: arkitect

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
How does the exported file look when opened in Preview? Unless the forums compress the image somehow it sounds like you are exporting in a different color profile from the original image.
Thanks for the reply.
In Preview I see exactly what I see in Photos when I have them side by side on the Mac.

What I have noticed, on other sites dedicated to photography, it seems to be of equal quality, but something happens when I post on MacRumours. 🙂
It is something I noticed quite a while ago, but today I uploaded a pic and it really grated that it was just not what I see.

Not a major thing, but just curious.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Set Color Profile to sRGB instead of Most Compatible. Not all browsers are color managed, and even those that are can be difficult to dial in. sRGB is the standard default, and if you embed that into your image you should see your colors match.

Reactions: kenoh and arkitect

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Set Color Profile to sRGB instead of Most Compatible. Not all browsers are color managed, and even those that are can be difficult to dial in. sRGB is the standard default, and if you embed that into your image you should see your colors match.
Thanks! I'll give that a go. 👍

Reactions: mollyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.