Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
Can I get my profile name changed from sdreed25?

It seems a bit formal and was just related to my email address, I want to change it to something similar, i.e. my nickname "sreedy" but retain my post count etc.

I am happy to put something like "Previously known as sdreed25" in my sig.... or do I need a new account and become a newbie :(

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Try sending a PM to a Mod, probably Mudbug and see what he says.
They usually want a very good reason for something like this.

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Yeah, good luck, but I don't know how much luck you'll have. Mods usually want a good reason if someone wants to change their name, and if it's just a personal preference thing, that probably won't cut it.

But you never know until you ask, I guess!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Funny, I've been thinking about this lately... Maybe I'll PM Arn or Mudbug.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
~Shard~ said:
Just ask nicely, flutter your eyelashes, and show a little skin. :cool:
Gasp! Please, we're not all as slutty as yourself. :p ;) And placeofdis while we're at it... Hee. Don't hate me! I kid, I kid!

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
devilot76 said:
Gasp! Please, we're not all as slutty as yourself. :p ;) And placeofdis while we're at it... Hee. Don't hate me! I kid, I kid!
If you don't want to show skin, I'll do it for you.
barbie_rapunzel_nude_pic3.jpg

Do you see the things I'm willing to do for you? :p

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
grapes911 said:
If you don't want to show skin, I'll do it for you.
<snip obscene photo> Do you see the things I'm willing to do for you? :p
Thanks, bud, nice to know that somebody else has got my back. Heh... that was a pun. HAHA. I am not feeling this cold dreary morning. :eek:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Oh, how this thread has degenerated. (And yes, I realize I had a part to play in it all!) Won't be long now before it is shut down...

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
OK! let me put it back on track :)

If one is allowed to change his profile name, it would start the trend for others to follow, wouldn't it? Unless if it is done discreetly and no one brags about it.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
fayans said:
If one is allowed to change his profile name, it would start the trend for others to follow, wouldn't it? Unless if it is done discreetly and no one brags about it.

You need a really, really good reason to change your nick, so no worries.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
fayans said:
OK! let me put it back on track :)

Yes... I, personally only know of one such example (and my lips/fingers are sealed) and I'm sure that that individual went through all possible means of keeping the original nick' but there must have been very pressing issues to warrant a change.

I know this... that's why I really won't bother w/ changing mine. I can't think of that legit of a reason. :p

And MacDawg, cheer up! If we're all deteriorating, at least we can smile as we do so. ;)
*steals iBlue's thing* --> {{hug}}

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
dubbz said:
You need a really, really good reason to change your nick, so no worries.

I used to be "OutThere761". I waited until I had over 1,000 posts and had been here for about 2 and half years before politely asking Mr. Anderson to remove the "761" from my name...I disliked having the 761 there since my first months here, but I felt that I should wait until I had established myself as a part of the community.

Anyway, I think they typically make it a rule not to change names unless you have a really good reason (offensive etc.) or have established yourself as an upstanding member of the community. :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The main reason is that if everyone changed their name nobody would be able to tell who we are talking to anymore. With a community this big that option really isn't feasible.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
OutThere said:
I used to be "OutThere761". I waited until I had over 1,000 posts and had been here for about 2 and half years before politely asking Mr. Anderson to remove the "761" from my name...I disliked having the 761 there since my first months here, but I felt that I should wait until I had established myself as a part of the community.

Anyway, I think they typically make it a rule not to change names unless you have a really good reason (offensive etc.) or have established yourself as an upstanding member of the community. :)

That was probably a good way to go about it. Mr. Anderson would be an appropriate Mod to go to since it was regarding a name change... ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
MacNut said:
The main reason is that if everyone changed their name nobody would be able to tell who we are talking to anymore. With a community this big that option really isn't feasible.

Yes, and if they kept the same avatar, it might confuse things further. "Is that the same person I was just talking to? He has the same 'tar, hmmm..." :confused: ;)

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Back on topic, my original name when I signed up on MR was "clayjohanson". It wasn't until I'd been here for a few months that I asked to be changed to "clayj". It's not that I'm overly concerned about people being able to find me (I mean, I have the domain names "clayj.com" and "clayjohanson.com"), but "clayj" is just MUCH shorter and easier to spell.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I was planing on asking for a name change after I make a contribution, a little "I scratch your back you scratch mine"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.