Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
bill4588 said:
I found a site ( http://interfacelift.com/icons-mac/index.php?sort=date ) that has different icons you can use to replace the standard ones. I downloaded some dashboard icons but I don't know how to actually change it. How do I do that? And would it be the same for any other icon (like finder, music folders, etc.)?

The dashboard and finder require a bit of finesse to replace, but standard applications and system icons are simpler. Copy the new image you want to use. Choose the application (for instance) and hit command+I to get info. In the top left corner is the icon. Click once to select it, then command+v to paste the new image on top. Easy.

Or, even easier, download CandyBar to do everything. :)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
To change an icon...

1. Select the icon you want to change your folder, app or file to.
2. Choose "Get Info" from the File Menu, or click command-I.
3. Click the icon in the upper left of the info window.
4. Choose "Copy" from the Edit menu (or type command-C).
5. Select your folder, app or file on the desktop and "Get Info" for it.
6. Click the icon in the upper left of the info window.
7. Select "Paste" (command-V) from the Edit Menu.

Two things to bear in mind – if you change an icon for, say, an app then it won't change the Dock icon automatically. Just drag the icon out of the Dock and drag your changed icon in there instead. Also, there are a few icons dotted around that you can't change using this method – the Finder or Trash icons, for example. You can change these by fiddling about with some files buried away in your hard drive, but a safer and easier option might be to take a look at an app like CandyBar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.