changing the display on an ibook 14" g4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by aavatsma, Mar 2, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

A friend of mine broke the screen on his ibook, and here in Norway its very expensive to have apple fix it. His two options are to order a new screen from a company in us and have me install it, or send the computer to a us company and have them fix it.

As the first option is a lot cheaper, we want to know if there are any good online guides on how to change the screen on a ibook g4, 1.33 ghz (latest edition) 14".

I know they have good guides on http://www.pbfixit.com but unfortunately they only have guides for the ibook g3, not the g4.

Also, what are the best online stores for buying new screens?

2. macrumors 68000

varmit

No applecare? Still not within the one year? The display itself will be expensive, and labor might too. Plus, I don't think you can outright buy it like PC parts, Apple is very big on that resellers cannot sell parts. But if you can find the Apple Manuals somewhere, like on a P2P program, then there should be directions on how to replace a screen. At which point you can do it yourself if you can get the part.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

No Applecare. He bought it 2 months ago, but the display broke by accident, and the guaranty doesnt apply.

Pages like www.ibookparts.com sell lcd-screens and other parts, but they dont seem to have the newest models.