Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
Has anyone opened up one of the WD mypassport external Thunderbolt Raid devices? I carry a num er of large drives with me (mostly large VMware images and multiple versions of software and the fixpaks for that software), and was thinking I could consolidate all of them into one of the WD Mypassports. But, some of my VMware image disks are SSD's, so don't want to lose that. Given the new lower cost large SSD's out there (the Samsung 2TB is less than $800!) I would consider putting two of them into the enclosure if it was possible.

Anyone tried that? Worst case I can use the CineRaid enclosure, but would prefer the Thunderbolt connection if that is possible.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
Has anyone opened up one of the WD mypassport external Thunderbolt Raid devices? I carry a num er of large drives with me (mostly large VMware images and multiple versions of software and the fixpaks for that software), and was thinking I could consolidate all of them into one of the WD Mypassports. But, some of my VMware image disks are SSD's, so don't want to lose that. Given the new lower cost large SSD's out there (the Samsung 2TB is less than $800!) I would consider putting two of them into the enclosure if it was possible.

Anyone tried that? Worst case I can use the CineRaid enclosure, but would prefer the Thunderbolt connection if that is possible.

OK, so nobody has tried it. Anyone have a suggestion for a 'portable' RAID enclosure? ideally bus powered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.