Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Ditto.

Checked my BofA and the charges are gone.

Checked my email, nothing from AT&T

Checked my confirmation email, went to order status and they all still say "In Progress."

Same here. AT&T won't actually charge you until the order ship. The initial charge was to verify that the funds were actually available. They can only hold the funds for 3 business days before the bank will release the funds back in to your account. This is standard procedure so there's no need for everyone to panic. You should see the actual charge as of next Tuesday or Wednesday. Good luck to everyone.

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
I ordered from an AT&T store on the 15th and my card was full on charged the same day. Bank even called to verify the charge because apparently all my unsuccessful trying on the Apple & AT&T website had multiple charges go thru, not sure how as I never got far enough to enter card info on the website but AT&T does have card on file as that is how I pay my bill so there were actually 3 charges for iPhone4 on my card.......got it taken care of with the bank and AT&T who says my phone "should" be here the 24th. Fingers crossed.

rfmurphy81

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
So I'm in a bit of a unique situation that I haven't seen others post about in reading through the various threads.

I purchased my phone on Apple.com around 6 p.m. PST on 6/15. Rather than putting everything on one card, I split between my Chase debit card and an American Express gift card.

The first time I hit submit, it came back saying there was a problem with a card, which I assumed was because I transposed numbers of something, so I corrected it any resubmitted. I got an order confirmation screen (with a W number) but didn't quite notice an error at the top saying that full payment hadn't been submitted yet. I get an email from Apple a few hours later saying to correct. Sadly, there was no way to update this on Apple.com so I had to call them the next morning.

On my AMEX check balance screen, it showed 2 $1 holds from Apple. However, I had the full hold on my Chase card for the remainder balance.

The representative on the phone indicated they probably were unable to place a full hold on the AMEX (like they did for the other card) which is why they were unable to finalize the payment. He said he would try resubmitting and, if that didn't work, move a few dollars over to the other card so the pending payments on the AMEX don't interfere.

A few hours later I got an email from Apple indicating Order Acknowledgment and when checking the status there are no indicators about payment not final like before. However, my AMEX still is only showing the 2 $1 holds while the pending amount on my Chase card has posted to my account.

Now, here's my question: should I be concerned that my AMEX gift card balance doesn't show the full amount as a pending or posted transaction yet like my Chase? If they try again (and AMEX delines it), I'm just really concerned about them canceling my shipment for 6/24 or even them moving the full amount to the working card. I mean, their order status page indicates the payment has been completed (whereas immediately after ordering, it said something about payment assistance needed). Anyone have an idea what's going to happen here? I've read other posts about them not being billed yet (until shipped) but it appears I'm in a unique situation here.

Ares1590

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
For anyone worried about charges being removed, here's the deal (I hope :eek: )

I talked to an employee and they said it is illegal for AT&T to hold money on debit accounts, aka, they are not allowed to accept debit cards as payment.

However, according to Apple it is very common for charges to show up, be removed, and then again applied when the product ships.

I would say that people who used debit or had charges removed need NOT worry as long as they did not get a cancellation email for AT&T and as long as their order status is still active. Everything SHOULD be fine according to AT&T and Apple :D

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
I have Bank of America checking:

on 6/15 - Preauthorization shows up but just $1 charge and another $0 charge :D

on 6/16 - Preauthorization gone and nothing else.:confused::confused:

on 6/17 - Pending charge for the iPhone shows up!:D

on 6/18 - Still pending:eek::confused::( (usually pending charge on my bank only takes one day) I'm worried but we'll see.

my order status remains in progress or in process but still backordered. on the phone order status still says "order has been processed and will ship shortly". so that's that. IT IS VERY CONFUSING AND FRUSTRATING!!! :mad:

keystoneuser

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Florida
My question is will the pre auth stay on until it ships, or do they just fully authorize and charge from the pre, OR is it a separate charge so it will look like 640$ was taken off of my account for 1 phone?

Or option #4, does the pre auth drop after a few days? Its already been 4 days. Bank of America

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Same here. AT&T won't actually charge you until the order ship. The initial charge was to verify that the funds were actually available. They can only hold the funds for 3 business days before the bank will release the funds back in to your account. This is standard procedure so there's no need for everyone to panic. You should see the actual charge as of next Tuesday or Wednesday. Good luck to everyone.
Yeah, I double checked with AT&T and they said my order was still there, so everythings good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.