Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westchester EV

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2016
Not really. Every Tesla has all Superchargers built into the nav system and automatically routes to them when you need to use them, so there's no need to look them up.
True but most people use Maps for planning a trip. When you have an EV you always think about charging. This way you don't have to use multiple apps (in this case Chargepoint) to get your data updated. Plugshare uses DOE data which Apple could access and added.

This is a good addition to Apple Maps that has long been requested.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
A 14-50 is the way to go if you're getting a Tesla, because they (at least S/X) include the UMC, which plugs directly into a 14-50 for 50A charging ("Level 2", "fast" AC charging, ~15-20mi/hr). Most other EVs only include 10A chargers that use standard wall outlets (Level 1, "slow" AC, just a few mi/hr). Many owners that get cars without Level 2 chargers opt to buy Level 2 chargers that are directly wired into their home and have J1772 connectors for a few hundred dollars so they can have a more complete overnight charge. It is also possible to install these chargers on a 14-50 outlet if desired, but many owners choose not to because it's slightly cheaper/cleaner looking when they are directly wired, like the Tesla HPWC.

I was debating between the 14-50 and the HPWC. I decided on the 14-50 because it's considerably cheaper (~$200 vs ~$1000) and I figured that when I go to sell my house, the next owner is more likely to find a 14-50, which they could use for any EV or an appliance, useful than an HPWC, which would only be useful if they have a Tesla vehicle.

Maybe I'm wrong on the second point though... I was under the impression a Leaf or i3 or Bolt or whatever could use the NEMA 14-50 just as easily as a Tesla.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I was debating between the 14-50 and the HPWC. I decided on the 14-50 because it's considerably cheaper (~$200 vs ~$1000) and I figured that when I go to sell my house, the next owner is more likely to find a 14-50, which they could use for any EV or an appliance, useful than an HPWC, which would only be useful if they have a Tesla vehicle.

Maybe I'm wrong on the second point though... I was under the impression a Leaf or i3 or Bolt or whatever could use the NEMA 14-50 just as easily as a Tesla.

Not sure what you are asking exactly but I know on the Bolt at least that you can't plug it directly into a 14-50 receptacle. You need the EVSE in between. About $500 for a 40 amp.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Huh. Crap. Now that I've read up on what an EVSE is, I think I'm going to hold off on getting a NEMA 14-50 until I hear something from Tesla regarding how to charge a Model 3 at home.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...nd-why-does-your-electric-car-charger-need-it

That article is kind of old but I think most of it still applies. The Bolt comes with a line voltage EVSE but that level of current will add only 4-5 miles per hour of charging. That was actually not too bad for a car with 20-30 Ah batteries, but the Bolt's 60 Ah batteries would take a couple of days to fully charge from flat at that rate. With a 30-40 amp EVSE pulling 240v, it's overnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.